Half dollars - which box type produces?

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This isn't a newbie question but more a poll across the country. I have read that in one area Brinks produces better than Loomis, Garda, etc. and in others vice versa.

The majority of my finds so far have been from teller trays or CWR's. Last week I ordered from several banks and already received boxes from 2 of them. They were all long flat boxes with yellow Strings wrappers, so I am assuming those are Loomis, right? The rest are arriving soon, and should be mostly Brinks. Brinks usually sends square boxes with white or olive green wrappers, right?

Upvote 0

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
In my area I have two choices; brinks and loomis. My first loomis box was great but everything else just skunks. All brinks now. Produces at least 4-6 40% with a couple 90% occasionally. My last 6 have been skunks though, hopefully got through them.

Welcome to Skunksville, USA, most CRH usually live part of their life in that place. Thankfully I ain't there dawg.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been ordering halves for about 5 years. Nothing has ever really produced, lots of competition since the get-go. I do 99% String flats. My best box was a Brinks about 3 years ago, I found 27 silvers. It's usually about 1 per box, or nothing. Back then hand rolled was where it's at, similar to today. That's why I concentrated on dimes, when no one else was.

Last edited:

half dollar bill

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had the best luck with Dunbar boxes. Arounf here, most dump banks with coin macjines are brinks banks, so there is a good chance of getting searched coins from brinks in this atrea. Gaerda services some banks, and i've had people tell me thay had luck with Garda boxes.

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Good info.

I have a theory about why some coin service providers might produce better than others, and it doesn't have anything to do with the idea some thinking some cull AG. More like some CRHers purposely pickup from one provider and dump at another. If most follow the same habit in any one area then the coin provider that receives all the dumps have their supply diluted with clad. The one that the majority pickup from are more concentrated with AG because clad is transferred to the other provider.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my average seems to be about 1 40% per box, with maybe 1/15 boxes producing a handful of 40%ers.

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
SilverForBrains said:
in my area, those long flat NFstring boxes are Dunbar

Hmmm, maybe I was wrong in my assumption on the provider. I'll have to tactfully ask a couple of my pickup banks tomorrow. Thanks.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time you get boxes hold it up to your ear and shake the box you can hear the silver.And the best boxes if we knew we would get much more silver.You never know!!

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
TimZim said:
Next time you get boxes hold it up to your ear and shake the box you can hear the silver.And the best boxes if we knew we would get much more silver.You never know!!

Alright Tim, I'm gonna assume that you're joking. I was just trying to test my theory about the clad shifting between providers. Without knowing the ins and outs of these providers it was just a theory.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright Tim, I'm gonna assume that you're joking. I was just trying to test my theory about the clad shifting between providers. Without knowing the ins and outs of these providers it was just a theory.

Well if it's a String and Son's, maybe you could. After all, the rolls are often short.

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
sagittarius98 said:
Well if it's a String and Son's, maybe you could. After all, the rolls are often short.

I heard String and Son's provides the paper wrappers and boxes, so if those MWR's were short it would be the coin machine/provider's fault. ¿?

And out of the 30 or so boxes that I've checked in the last month, almost all have been in those boxes and none have been short so far. Maybe it could be some machines out there could need recalibration.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm, maybe I was wrong in my assumption on the provider. I'll have to tactfully ask a couple of my pickup banks tomorrow. Thanks.

They don't like you to ask this or any questions relating to who the provider is. I once asked what time are my halves gonna be in, and the tellers looked at each other and say we don't know maybe a week. Then I say, 'what day of the week does the truck usually bring them in', and they very well knew, and they pretty much said they could not tell me that information. Wow. I have an account with this bank mind you.

Homies, if they do this do you for just asking, you gotta speak up and ask why they won't give the info to you.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I heard String and Son's provides the paper wrappers and boxes, so if those MWR's were short it would be the coin machine/provider's fault. ¿?

And out of the 30 or so boxes that I've checked in the last month, almost all have been in those boxes and none have been short so far. Maybe it could be some machines out there could need recalibration.

It's presumable to assume a certain machine is used by dunbar/loomis that ONLY works with string's and skunks. Thus it is the machine. But since everyone hates ol skunk & sons so badly, we just blame it on them.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
50cent said:
Homies, if they do this do you for just asking, you gotta speak up and ask why they won't give the info to you.

I'm going out on a limb here but, I'd say it's so you can't rob the truck or nail down a route time for the truck. I had a bank like that at first, would never tell me when they got their deliveries, just asked what day I wanted to pick them up and they'd have then ready for me. Now I know the delivery days after they got to know me and saw I wasn't plotting anything, just a CRHer. HH, Maverick.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
They have your photograph(s), your address, your name, two forms of ID, and they think you are planning something like you described. Homie, If we ever wanted to nail down the armored truck, we wouldn't even open an account.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
50cent said:
They have your photograph(s), your address, your name, two forms of ID, and they think you are planning something like you described. Homie, If we ever wanted to nail down the armored truck, we wouldn't even open an account.

True, we realize that, but the tellers don't, to them I'm some guy trying to find out when the truck with all the money gets there if you look at it from their perspective. HH, maverick.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know all of my banks' delivery days. I know what providers they use too. I just tell them I am attempting to diversify my soueces and they will give it up 95% of the time.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
It's presumable to assume a certain machine is used by dunbar/loomis that ONLY works with string's and skunks. Thus it is the machine. But since everyone hates ol skunk & sons so badly, we just blame it on them.

They're good with nickels.

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50cent said:
Yes, I got a war nickel from them by CRH'ing the cash register----at work.

Get em where ya can bro

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread