Half fluted point

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Picture225.jpg
Picture224.jpg
Here is a point found in spring fed creek that mostly gives up side notches ,the one side has a heal or spur that must have been hard to work off so the flip side got a flute to help lighten/balance out? what are these types called?

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a Woodland type point so that is not a flute in the true sense of the word. It is more than likely just where a large flake was removed while knapping it out and they just worked around it.

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
Is it rounded out like a bowl or spoon and perfectly smooth? If so I'd bet its from "fire pop". All the pieces that I've seen with fire pop were in a fire after being made. Yours looks like it was poped before being made into an arrowhead. Anouther possibility is that the core its from was a nodule or round ball of flint these can break along the rounded layers that make up the ball, just like if youve ever seen a broken jawbreaker candy. I have a blade or blank made from a nodule piece the first pic is the worked convex side. The secound is the not-as-worked concave side. This example shows a chalky layer on the bottom and also layers like the jawbreaker.
I'm no flute expert but I belive to be a flute or even a thining flake it would be flat and not dished out like yours appears to be.
By the way it was nice to meet you at the show IA trout.

Attachments

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 291
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 289
OP
OP
iowa trout

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Re: wannabee fluted point

Thanks fellas wannabee flute . I agree all atv a round rind core flake worked around the pop. Big show it was fun nice to meet you as well shure was dandy piece you had with ya.

PrimitiveOne

Mar 30, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Eyeballs 2
Primary Interest:
Other
The fluted area is almost to smooth to be a "firepop". It looks like a big flake was removed during the thinning stage of the preform and the craftsman utilized this to make a finished point. I know when I'm knapping, any help in thinning is appreciated. Remember these were tools and not art so it probably cut the knapping process in half.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread