Half of a Civil War Veteran Medal & Nice SLQ.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Half of a Civil War Veteran Medal & Nice SLQ.

Veterans day Nate was off of school and I had off work. The weekend before Nate had the detecting itch but only a little time so he went to the closest old park. This park has been hunted so much by us as well as clubs in the past that when we hunt this park we consider it a success if we find even a wheat penny. Well Nate of coarse comes home with silver and some wheat pennies. He hunted an area that we hunted a lot in our “early” days of detecting. So, he perked my interest and coerced me into a quick veterans day hunt.

Veteransdayhunt2008.jpg

It was only around 36 but I brought my wool hat and other “winter” gear. As we started hunting Nate scolded me because I wasn't going according to plan. I was distracted from the “old” stuff and going for the Gold – sand volleyball courts. ;D ;D After finding a couple quarters but no gold I started wandering around where he was. Dug some junk, a couple pennies and started thinking “why did I let him drag me out to this park on this cold day”..... A few minutes later I got a decent weird signal. It was surrounded by iron and deep (6-8”) and was surprised to see my first SLQ of the year! And it had a date! :icon_sunny:

SLQdirty640.jpg

Run over and show Nate who just says “Told you so”. :director: A few more minutes to recheck the area and I was done.

LocalParkfinds.jpg

SLQfront.jpg

My next hunt was this last Friday. The weather turned out much nicer than I expected. It got up to about 60. I had my gear packed in the car and was able to take off work a little early. Went to the nearby park where I found the Barber dime last week. 40 minutes and nothing but clad:
Cladonly.jpg

Drove over to the Hitchcock foundation site. The growth has died down and it has become a lot more huntable. Sorry for the crappy picture – cell phone.
HitchcockhousesiteNov142008.jpg

Hunted for about 45 minutes and found mostly junk. The couple belt buckles were encouraging and I was getting ready to leave when I found the small little pistol. 8) That was cool in itself. Then I found the headless cow. Cool I thought. How could Nate and I missed these? The last target was the best. I knew it was going to be good but when I got home and washed it up I was surprised to see it was civil war related:

20yearcivilwarveteranmetal.jpg

Part of a 20 year Veterans Medal. Very sweet. :sunny:

20yearcivilwarveteranmetalback.jpg

Here is what the whole thing would have looked like:
1886medalfullfront.jpg

The rest of the stuff from the site:
Hitchcockhouse111108trash.jpg

Hitchcockhouse111408.jpg

Glad I got my fix on Friday. Saturday rained all day and today it was snowing.

Bob

Upvote 0

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT's Goldscan 5 PI
Re: Half of a Civil War Veteran Medal & Nice SLQ.

I do believe that's the nicest dug SLQ I've seen. Great badge too. WTG!

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

Great G.A.R. medal! I hope you find the lower part, seems likely that you would. If the ribbon tore (and left the upper on the wearer), the star would be all you'd find. Finding top part = both in same site.
There I go trying to superimpose logic on this random bizniz.

The SLQ is mighty fine, '28 might be the 1st year they had the incuse date--which lasted tons better than did the earlier design.

That's a good variety of stuff and good stuff, and the Crackerjack toys are the latter.

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe

Standing Quarters are not severely old, but they are one of my most favorite coins to find! Yours is a nice one. Looks like your on a pretty cool site with a good mix of targets. What was said when you dug the quarter at the park? He probably thought he should have left you in the sand!! Well done on a great couple of hunts! 8)

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

Mirage,

Nice finds. I've got to say, though, that it's odd that you found a headless Cracker Jack cow the same time I found a headless Cracker Jack cow! I can't post the photo here because I'm not at my computer, but check out the Illinois forum. The topic title says it all!

Joe

Redfoot

Jul 12, 2006
Nashville, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT and Ace 250

Great finds. Like the medal. Started snowing here to the other day also. Thanks for sharing. HH Curtis

Specter

Apr 30, 2008
Detector(s) used
Two M-6's

Nice digging! Great SLQ! Clear date. :thumbsup:

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star

Quote from: ZoSo71 on Yesterday at 03:24:34 PM
Very nice Bob....

Thoes SLQ's seem to elude me, Gonna have to keep it on top of my list for next year...

Looks like you found the top half of the Civil War Veteran medal I found this time last year at one of Dan's sites..

Glad to see someone in the area is getting out digging the good stuff...

Enjoy
ZoSo71

WOW!...Dave!

Dude where ya been?

And Bob...sweet Standing Lib.

Wuz up Dan..

It's been a long summer.I will explain later...

Yea a dated SLQ in our neck of the woods is pretty sweet...

ZoSo71

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Very, very cool!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The SLQ would have satisfied me for at least a month if I had found it, but you have so many other cool finds to go with it.... ;D ;D ;D

That medal is fantastic!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice Finds, You guys are pros now, slow and easy, Bet there are more goodies at those sites.

Really like the SL Quarter, Great Find!

HH, Ringfinder
Denny

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Thanks again for the additional replies. The SLQ is my best.

I dug up the crude "historical" record of the site. It was written by an old lady and the way it is written makes it hard to follow (except for the part of being chased by a blackbear ;D ). After carefully re-reading it a few times I'm still not sure if it was the Hitchcock family or the Yesbergers who owned the house at this site. The one thing is certain. Alma and James had five children and one of their son's - James was killed in the battle of Gettysburg. Maybe the metal was presented to the parents? I don't know much about this stuff but it's interesting and I am learning...

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread