Half of George II hibernia Half penny!

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checking some new spots in the woods for more colonials nets some nice goodies! More and more it's looking like this area was the cross roads of the colonial world...mixing spanish florida with brit colonies and various indian tribes. Today's finds included a spanish-style scarf hasp (the thing with the pins) and bridal rosette, a belt slide thing (the large decoraitve brass thing) and a 1760 george II Hibernia half penny...cut in half...would that make it a Farthing? I dunno...

The coin is totally trashed, worn to a nub, the outline of a harp is barely visible on the back, with a couple of letters "I" and "A", the number "17" in the right places for a Hibernia...means it's from Ireland, another colony heard from in this cross roads of the 18th century.

Fun day and as always a vid to go with it...

[youtube=425,350]OS7gBj1uzx4[/youtube]

Attachments

• rosetteb.png
    rosetteb.png
    142.6 KB · Views: 767
  • odd1.png
    odd1.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 749
  • bar1.png
    bar1.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 747
  • toasted.jpg
    toasted.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 768
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not an early George II Irish Bust. Probably 1822 George IV. But still counts. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 1822 Hibernia.jpg
    1822 Hibernia.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 979

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like you got a piece of a neck stock buckle, along with the colonial rossette, and I am curious about the other item. You may have found the first one of these bracket/guide things intact. We have long suspected that they went together, but they are always found separately. Maybe you can show some more views of yours? Here are a couple that I matched up for demo purposes.

Attachments

• saddleguide.jpg.JPG
    saddleguide.jpg.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 710
  • saddleguide.jpg.JPG
    saddleguide.jpg.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 695
OP
OP
adventureswithjim

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug a number of those ovals and the bracket part at the site...this one has both still attached. Check the vid, you can see it comes out whole. The bracket part on my piece is held on by iron rivets...the additional holes in mine appear to be decorative, not functional...so the rivets would have had to penetrate to a third layer like a leather strap, it's easy to see how the two brass bits got separated. Even though my plate has a different design, I'd say a good bet the brackets and the ovals are supposed to be together. It would be cool if this piece were able to settle the question of the ovals.

Attachments

• oddback.png
    oddback.png
    249.3 KB · Views: 626
  • oddfront.png
    oddfront.png
    178.2 KB · Views: 636
  • bar2.png
    bar2.png
    152.5 KB · Views: 569
OP
OP
adventureswithjim

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Not an early George II Irish Bust. Probably 1822 George IV. But still counts. :thumbsup:

This coin is extremely difficult to get a good pic of since some details can only be seen at angle. It's a extremely worn coin, but the details I can make out on the harp side do not line up with your pic of the 1822. the harp on mine comes down farther and has a "17" next to it at the bottom. The bust side has a "II" to the right of the bust.

Thanks for the effort to ID the coin, in any case this one is pretty much a lost cause...just being able to see the harp to ID this coin as Irish adds a cool new detail to the site.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
adventureswithjim said:
I've dug a number of those ovals and the bracket part at the site...this one has both still attached. Check the vid, you can see it comes out whole. The bracket part on my piece is held on by iron rivets...the additional holes in mine appear to be decorative, not functional...so the rivets would have had to penetrate to a third layer like a leather strap, it's easy to see how the two brass bits got separated. Even though my plate has a different design, I'd say a good bet the brackets and the ovals are supposed to be together. It would be cool if this piece were able to settle the question of the ovals.

You have settled the question of whether they did indeed go together! Now we are still faced with the question of where they were actually used. I have heard speculation that they were used on saddles and some other horse related uses, but nobody has been able to produce a picture of one actually in use on the actual item (whatever that item is). If you don't mind I would like to save your pictures for my files.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
adventureswithjim said:
Iron Patch said:

This coin is extremely difficult to get a good pic of since some details can only be seen at angle. It's a extremely worn coin, but the details I can make out on the harp side do not line up with your pic of the 1822. the harp on mine comes down farther and has a "17" next to it at the bottom. The bust side has a "II" to the right of the bust.

Thanks for the effort to ID the coin, in any case this one is pretty much a lost cause...just being able to see the harp to ID this coin as Irish adds a cool new detail to the site.

If you clearly see the 17, you see the 17... but that profile does not look like what it should be. It looks like a later bust.

Plus.... considering it's only half the coin are you sure you are looking at a date? If you can see some of the words in Hibernia, you are seeing the top... so how can you see the date? If the date is after the a, then it's a Woods Hibernia. (1722-1724) Or... your just catching the 17 before the break. Still a weird bust.

OP
OP
adventureswithjim

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve in PA said:
You have settled the question of whether they did indeed go together! Now we are still faced with the question of where they were actually used. I have heard speculation that they were used on saddles and some other horse related uses, but nobody has been able to produce a picture of one actually in use on the actual item (whatever that item is). If you don't mind I would like to save your pictures for my files.

My 2 cents about being "used" as slide guides is no, they were not. There's a problem with them being used as strap guide...there's no wear. On my item it's especially clear with so much frilly detail, there is no additional wear on the path another belt would have been sliding over. You can look at any of the ovals you or I have dug...they are all evenly worn...no path of wear from the sliding belt. As for what I think they were used for...I know as much about horses as I know about cars...if it ain't got a USB port to jack into, I'm lost.

Yeah, keep the pics if they help.

OP
OP
adventureswithjim

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
adventureswithjim said:
Iron Patch said:

If you clearly see the 17, you see the 17... but that profile does not look like what it should be. It looks like a later bust.

Plus.... considering it's only half the coin are you sure you are looking at a date? If you can see some of the words in Hibernia, you are seeing the top... so how can you see the date? If the date is after the a, then it's a Woods Hibernia. (1722-1724) Or... your just catching the 17 before the break. Still a weird bust.

There is nothing "clear" about this coin :-)

Here's the back, maybe in this pic you can make out the harp and the 7? I dunno. Like I said this coin is a lost cause! I'm just happy to see the harp at all.

Another possibility is this is a period counterfeit, the ones I've seen pics of had odd looking busts...but who would fake a half penny?

I'm including a couple pics of an ebay coin (the root of truth..ahahahahahahahah) that I've been using to compare mine too. My coin is a Rorschach test...you can see anything you want in those blobs!

I'll kill for a copper with real details...of the 5 from the site, best I can do with any of them is ID country of origin.

Attachments

• coina.png
    coina.png
    141.5 KB · Views: 570
  • back.png
    back.png
    281.4 KB · Views: 521
  • coin2.png
    coin2.png
    145.7 KB · Views: 606

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
adventureswithjim said:
Iron Patch said:
adventureswithjim said:
Iron Patch said:

There is nothing "clear" about this coin :-)

Here's the back, maybe in this pic you can make out the harp and the 7? I dunno. Like I said this coin is a lost cause! I'm just happy to see the harp at all.

Another possibility is this is a period counterfeit, the ones I've seen pics of had odd looking busts...but who would fake a half penny?

I'm including a couple pics of an ebay coin (the root of truth..ahahahahahahahah) that I've been using to compare mine too. My coin is a Rorschach test...you can see anything you want in those blobs!

I'll kill for a copper with real details...of the 5 from the site, best I can do with any of them is ID country of origin.

Profile doesn't match. The bust on your coin actually looks more like what was used on the British George IV Halfpenny. But I've seen poor condition really distort things so you'll probably never know for sure.

Attachments

• _wsb_522x266_1826+PR+halfpenny+BOTH.jpg
    _wsb_522x266_1826+PR+halfpenny+BOTH.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 500

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft:
Steve in PA said:
Looks to me like you got a piece of a neck stock buckle, along with the colonial rossette, and I am curious about the other item. You may have found the first one of these bracket/guide things intact. We have long suspected that they went together, but they are always found separately. Maybe you can show some more views of yours? Here are a couple that I matched up for demo purposes.
:icon_thumleft:

Yes strap guides, great to see a whole one :icon_thumleft:

SS

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it just me or does anyone else see a figure sitting on the bench behind Jim towards the end of the video?

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of what it actually is, it is still a pretty nice coin. Grats on the Copper! :hello2:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, But i have to agree with sc shooter, Does not anyone else see the man in uniform that shows up about 4:17 and sits over Jim's right shoulder until about 4:40 and just kinda vanishes? I saw it Shooter saw it , Anyone else?........Hmmmmmm............ :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

OP
OP
adventureswithjim

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gunrunner61 said:
Nice finds, But i have to agree with sc shooter, Does not anyone else see the man in uniform that shows up about 4:17 and sits over Jim's right shoulder until about 4:40 and just kinda vanishes? I saw it Shooter saw it , Anyone else?........Hmmmmmm............ :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:
no such thing as ghosts, must be a spot on the cam lens or something!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
adventureswithjim said:
Gunrunner61 said:
no such thing as ghosts, must be a spot on the cam lens or something!
Recon I'll have to go with the something.........Couse he's there for sure!

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed Gunner. It looks like one can see his nose,eyes,shoulders etc. Unbelieveable!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions