halfdime posts modest finds in return

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Most of my time the last few months has been committed to baseball, and I'll resume again tomorrow, but I took a few hours this afternoon to do some detecting. One of my players (I coach 7-8 year olds) had a team party at his house a few weeks ago (actually, his mother did) and I got permission to detect their yard. It's a classic: 100+ years on the house in a 200 year old community. In other words, something's hiding there. My kids are away at camp for another day or two, so I thought today would be a good idea to introduce Reese to all the hidden treasure in his yard. We were all excited; me, because I haven't been out for so long, Reese because it was something new. After a few junk signals, I got one that I was pretty sure would be a penny. Sure enough, our first coin of the day was a 1902 Indian head. Reese had never heard of such a thing, let alone seen one; he'll be the proud owner of this one when I get it cleaned up and put in a 2x2. A little while later, I found this 18K man's wedding band, but I'm pretty sure it's just plated. If so, it's the most stubborn plating I've ever seen; it's very difficult to see where the gold is separating from the inside metal. At one point, Reese's mother came out; she has a Ph.D and is writing a book on brain tumors or something (seriously); she announced that "this (detecting) is way more interesting." Pretty soon, Reese and I stumbled into a minefield of wheat pennies: 1910, 11, 16, 19, 29, 31, 41 and 51D. Not all in one place, exactly, but concentrated enough to make you wonder why. I kept telling Reese, and myself, that this was a sure sign that there would be some silver, too. It wasn't to be today, but when I go back I'm confident that it'll show its face. Don't know when that will be exactly, but I won't wait long. It looks like I could pick up a whole bunch of yards down there; it's a long summer once baseball ends and I'll need something to keep me sane. The kids come home tomorrow.

Attachments

• 18kindian (Small).jpg
    18kindian (Small).jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 358
Upvote 0

drodda777

Mar 13, 2009
Dave, Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-MAX
Halfdime,

I love finding wheat fields like that. It almost always leads to some great silver finds. Get back out there and dig that silver!!!! :thumbsup: There's a SLQ waiting to be harvested from its resting place!

HH,

Dave

F

Felinepeachy

I agree, those are good old coins. I would be thrilled to find them. Good Job! :thumbsup:

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job :icon_thumright: What's inside the ring, Is that a die? Did you find that while you were detecting? Rich.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
richm said:
Great job :icon_thumright: What's inside the ring, Is that a die? Did you find that while you were detecting? Rich.
I forgot to mention that. At first, I thought it was a die, but it isn't. It has a hole going through it, and I found it in the same hole as one of the wheats and a 2" piece of wire. This item looks homemade, and is amber in color. Maybe I should attempt a closeup, Mr. DeMille.

Attachments

• 18kindian 001 (Small).jpg
    18kindian 001 (Small).jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 251

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread