Halo Effect question

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[=SWR link=]

If a walk over a spot where there is buried a cache,the halo effect or magnetic field surrounding the same cache could it affect my MD's performance?????
[/quote]
The short answer is NO. Assuming the buried cache is gold and/or silver, neither gold or silver will produce a ?halo? or ?magnetic field?. t
``````````````````````````
herefore, the buried cache will not affect your MD?s performance. I hope that your MD will simply detect the metal.
A) I agree with you jim on this part, and also on the magnetic field.

Till eulenspiegle

dawgvader

Mar 1, 2006
Yes it would change the Magnetic field... The Magnetic Field of the Earth rises upward from the crust of the Earth.... So lets say you have 30 Gold bars buried in the ground and that target is 2 feet by 2 feet and buried 5 feet down... because the magnetic pulses from the Earth are coming up, when it hits that Gold... it cannot penetrate through the Gold because of the density of Gold, so it disrupts the waves of magnetic Field producing a different value on the magnetic field, so you would be able to differintiate the value of that target...

OP
OP
Amona

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box
Hi People

The Reason I started this topic is due I went to detect in 1997 with my MD in some island in the Caribbean at some spot where the legends say there is buried two chest w/ gold coins. That day detecting over that spot My MD, for some unknow reason, didn't operate good, why??? the batteries was ok!!! what else??? ??? ??? I don't know. I will try again.

Amona

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[=RealdeTayopa
[=SWR link=]

If a walk over a spot where there is buried a cache,the halo effect the same cache could it affect my MD's performance?????
The short answer is NO. Assuming the buried cache is gold and/or silver, neither gold or silver will produce a ?halo? or ?magnetic field?. t
``````````````````````````
herefore, the buried cache will not affect your MD?s performance. I hope that your MD will simply detect the metal.

A) I agree with you jim on the magnetic field, but not on the Halo effect "if" that is supposedly disintegrated metal. We all have had the experience of having a strong signal then upon excavating only to find disintegrated metal. this is the halo effect?

Till eulenspiegle

[/quote]

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to go with SWR on this halo thing. Sometimes roots will cause a detector to act funny too. Electrical interference will cause a null or beep. The magnetic field of the earth is not strong enough to effect a metal detector, but lightning will.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
There are a few reason your metal detector could have been opperating poorly. Aside from weak batteries, if the soil was highly mineralised this could certainly affect any readings.

But your question about the cache changing the magnetic field is valid. I don't know about the Halo effect, but YES there would be some change in the field due to the absence of the natural soils and the change this would have on the magnetic field. But you would only be able to detect this change if you were using a magnetometer or gradiometer to measure the field.

Provided the chest are not buried too deep, your best bet would still be the MD.

Robert in SC

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I had the halo effect figured out but maybe I don't? It seems to me that if the gold or precious metal was contained in a wooden chest or even a metal box that the halo effect would have some bearing on it. The wooden chests were reinforced with metal and the metal box, well it's usually iron or steel. As it (chest and/or box) deteriorates wouldn't the rust accumulate and form somewhat of a halo effect? Granted it may be negligible since the halo effect often mimics precious metals. I would think the halo effect may make the cache appear larger than it would if the treasure were just buried in the ground? Then when the target is dug and the halo is broken , wouldn't you get a truer picture of the size and content of the container? Yes? No? Monty

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[Sandman256
. Sometimes roots
A) Agreed, this is due to the change in the "ground matrix". Ideal for a sensitive adjustable detector or especially a Maggie.

This was a prominent problem in the early days of detecting, as SWR said, "incorrect" adjustments on those machines that could be adjusted.

This was especially noticeable where there was quite a bit of ferrous materiel such as an old water/creek/river drainage. Once adjusted over a fair amount of ferrrous matrix, you would continue searching until you hit a patch of min. ferrous material - roots, rocks, whatever - in which case the tone would rise sheesh This was a major problem in the western states.

Modern detectorists have no idea how advanced the new breed of detectors are. This is why the older detectorists tend to triple check all indications from 'all' sides/directions and dig all consistant reactions.

Monty I tend to sgree with you.

Till Eulenspiegle

dawgvader

Mar 1, 2006
A Magnetometer is psuedoscience? No where on earth is there 30 gold bars buried? I heard it all SWR.. All you want to do is argue.. Go play with your MD... Why the big boys are pulling out Cache... If you can't run with the Big Dawgs stay on the Porch!... A Magnetometer is psuedoscience!... Unbelievable!.. Pretty soon you are going to say radio transmissions are psuedoscience!

dawgvader

Mar 1, 2006
A Magnetometer is psuedoscience? No where on earth is there 30 gold bars buried? I heard it all SWR.. All you want to do is argue.. Go play with your MD... Why the big boys are pulling out Cache... If you can't run with the Big Dawgs stay on the Porch!... A Magnetometer is psuedoscience!... Unbelievable!.. Pretty soon you are going to say radio transmissions are psuedoscience!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=dawgvader ]
A Magnetometer is psuedoscience?
A) I didn't see where SWR said this?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No where on earth is there 30 gold bars buried?
A) He said " buried to 'prove' this theory", not that this amount of gold bars was never buried.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While SWR and I butt heads generally - mostly onryness on my part, me Irish, heheh- I have to back SWR on this point dawg.

Till Eulenspiegle

dawgvader

Mar 1, 2006
My whole post was about how a magnetometer works, as I have two of them.. Mr SWR who has a bias towards Land Recovery! He said that sounds like pseudoscience.... Ask Mel Fishers family what they think of Magnetometers... My friend Lee worked for Mel for 12yrs on and off as a diver... Mel loved his Magnetometers!...

Quote From SWR

Where can one find more data on your opinion? Your opinion has all the appearances of pseudoscience*, as it is very doubtful anyone has buried 30 bars of gold to support this theory.

Eagerly waiting. Jim SWR

The word ANYONE means No One... which mean it has never happened.... I didn't say it... Mr SWR said it!.... which that means that Mr SWR must Know everything that is buried around the world in the Earths crust!.. So that makes him all knowing!... Sorry but he made that statement that there was never 30 bars ever buried in the Earth!... That statement does not hold water... No pun intended!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dawgvader !...
Quote From SWR, which?

"it is very doubtful anyone has buried 30 bars of gold, to support this theory.:
Post which means 30 bars of Gold have never been buried.

"It is very doubtful that anyone has buried 30 bars of gold to support this theory".
SWR's post.

HI mi buddy DaWG, it is self explanitory. the simple addition of a coma gives the 'qoutation' an entirely different meaning

p.s. still buddies?.

Till Eulenspiegle

dawgvader

Mar 1, 2006
Where can one find more data on your opinion? Your opinion has all the appearances of pseudoscience*, as it is very doubtful anyone has buried 30 bars of gold to support this theory. SWR

Yes of course we are still buddies!.... But Mr SWR saying my post is like PsuedoScience... I know what He was getting at!... He was calling my post Hocus Pocus type Science.. Which he is entitled to his opinions... but come on... It is very doubtful anyone has buried 30 bars of Gold to support this theory?... ANYONE would that include the Spanish or Indians or Mormons or Mexicans or the Ancients or Outlaws... Come on! Anyone is a broad term and if He believes that statement? Than he is very dillusional

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
Realde?s rendition of my post is correct. The spirit of the original poster was in reference a standard metal detector, and not a magnetometer.
I have to agree with you on this one.That's a first,ha-ha. :) Dawgvader is off the chain and quick to jump,as I am usually.A question-Didn't the Spanish bury gold at a depth of 8 feet? If so,could a top shelf detector actually pick up a signal that was approx.2x2x2 at that depth in the sand?Of course over the years with winds and erosion it could be a little deeper or shallower.Just how deep does a standard metal detector go on a target of that size in the sand?

dawgvader

Mar 1, 2006
Ok my fault! I thought you were implying that there are no cache in the earth that total 30 bars... but I really thought that the original intention of this thread is about the Halo effect and the MD was a secondary

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
if discrimination was set to ignore trash/iron and such, or sensitivity set too high, you could expect nulling or erratic readings over an iron box ........g

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread