mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could have been a small rust spot that your detector was picking up. So your pin pointer would not pick it up could have been too deep for it. So when you dug your plug it broke up the spot and it disappear. My detector has done this before also. You dig look then fill your hole back in and go on to next signal....Matt

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's a park I hit from time to time that has lots of those. The fields sit lower than the surrounding area and is perpetually wet.
Clad comes out orange. When I dig a ghost signal like that I can usually spot and orange-ish stain in the soil from a rotted nail or something iron.

Al

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woodland Detectors said:
Remember, some pin pointers wont detect all the metals like pure gold. :wink:
Yeaaaaaaaaaa .
Now that sounds crazy, But It's true.
Ive seen it happen first hand several times to us out hunting nuggets in the desert. The detectors pick up the signal but the pin pointers won't . Re checked the hole with the detector , it is there, then check with the pin pointer, nothing. The more the soil was disturbed the weaker the signal got . So took the soil from the hole and ran it in the Dry washer and got the color that the detector said was there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread