Carrollton, GA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Garret AT MAX
Garrett ATX
Minelab GTX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found what I believe to be the end piece off of a belt. It was about 2 inches deep and I believe it to be brass. It has the inscription of "HAMILTON" along the top and below it is a design or maybe a coat of arms, no clue. The back has metal tips which lead to believe it's off a belt and it came out of a area that I've found civil war relics in before. It's an inch wide at the thickest part and 1 1/2 inches long. I found no history of their being a hamilton belt company or anything that looks like this. All suggestions are welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_2278[1].JPG
    IMG_2278[1].JPG
    721.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2292[1].JPG
    IMG_2292[1].JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2293[1].JPG
    IMG_2293[1].JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 67

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bet is that it is a custom made item for someone from the Hamilton family line. Just curious are you able to tell the general area that it was found aka check against historical battles.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Holt0222 is quite correct.

That is in fact the crest of the Hamilton family of Scotland.

Hamilton.jpg

Since early in the 14th century, the Hamilton family has played a prominent part in Scottish history. It was a Hamilton who fought alongside Robert the Bruce at Bannockburn: a Hamilton who was heir to the Scottish throne in the 16th century and who arranged the marriage between Mary Queen of Scots and the Dauphin of France.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ga_Farm_Hunter

Ga_Farm_Hunter

May 7, 2017
Carrollton, GA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Garret AT MAX
Garrett ATX
Minelab GTX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was found in Cartersville Georgia so it might be a little far away from Scotland! I'll check with the landowner about any family with that coat of arms

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was found in Cartersville Georgia so it might be a little far away from Scotland!

Why would you think that to be unusual? With the exception of First Nations people, every family in America had emigrated there from another country, bringing their surname and its heritage with them. Lots of Scottish people came and they're particularly proud of their heritage... especially if from a notable family.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ga_Farm_Hunter

Ga_Farm_Hunter

May 7, 2017
Carrollton, GA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Garret AT MAX
Garrett ATX
Minelab GTX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've just neither found something that has foreign ties to it especially in the area I hunted. You are right though. Do you think it could of possibly been worn by a soldier during the civil war who had the surname of Hamilton?

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've just neither found something that has foreign ties to it especially in the area I hunted. You are right though. Do you think it could of possibly been worn by a soldier during the civil war who had the surname of Hamilton?

All things are possible, but you need to look into ancestral, historical or service records. I had a cursory look for notable 'Hamiltons' in Georgia and below is just one possibility you might like to explore. This is from “Memoirs of Georgia”, published in 1895:

CHARLES S. HAMILTON, farmer and merchant, Montgomery county, Ga., son of Josiah and May (Poole) Hamilton, was born in Montgomery county, Dec. 9, 1831. His father was of Scotch [[ugh... don't ever say that to a Scottish person]] descent, born in North Carolina in 1791, came to Georgia with the family in 1800 and settled in Montgomery county, where he was reared a farmer. His mother was a native Georgian. Charles S. was sixth in birth of a family of eleven born to his parents. He received such education as was obtainable at the common schools of the county at the time, and he began life as a farmer. He enlisted in the army soon after the war began, and was detailed for duty in Georgia in Col. Clinch’s regiment of cavalry, and was in the service three years. In i860 he was elected justice of the peace and held the office until he resigned fourteen years later. He was elected to represent the county in the general assembly in 1884, and served two years, during which he introduced a bill for the relief of disabled Confederate soldiers, which passed and was ratified by the people, and under which the Confederate soldiers are now receiving pensions. Mr. Hamilton has a very large farm and has besides very extensive timber land possessions. In connection with his farming he has a very large general merchandise store at Higgston, where he has done and continues to do a large business. From his store, his large farm and his extensive tracts of timber lands he enjoys a splendid income. Mr. Hamilton has been twice wedded. His first wife was Mrs. Jenkins, of Jefferson county, Ga., whom he married in 1857, and who died, childless, in 1862. His second wife was Miss Ruth Williams, born in 1844, daughter of Joshua Williams, of Tattnall county, by whom he has had eleven children, three of whom (all boys) died in infancy. The living children are: Charles L., born Feb. 25, 1870; Benjamin F., born Feb. 6, 1872, married Miss Effie Williamson, daughter of A. J. Williamson, of Montgomery county; Mollie L., born May 23, 1874, now Mrs. Emerson Almand, Montgomery county; George W., born Aug. 10, 1877; Claudius W., born Oct. 20, 1879; Ruth F., born May 24, 1883; Arthur, born Aug. 11, 1886, and a boy baby, born March 16, 1893, not named. Mr. Hamilton’s father lost a large amount of property by the war, and he was a large slave-holder himself. He lives on an extensive farm at Kibbee, Montgomery Co., in the enjoyment of robust health and an ample competency, an interesting family and thousands of friends. Mr. Hamilton is a royal arch Mason.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread