monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright I have heard people talk of finger holds in stone before, but I never went for it. Now I have found an artifact that looks like it as a finger hold. I wont to hear what all of you have to say on this matter. Part of the hole on this hammer stone I feel was pecked and I tried to take some good photos so we could talk on this matter, because most of every finger hold I have ever seen has been natural. Let me hear it.:director: hammer stone and pottery 001.JPG hammer stone and pottery 002.JPG hammer stone and pottery 003.JPG hammer stone and pottery 004.JPG This hammer stone was dug , so it did not roll down a creek to get these marks. My thoughts are it was a break in the stone while they where using it and then pecked the break on one side to make a finger hold.:dontknow: Show your artifacts that you think have finger holds that were made into it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, there are pitted stones, sometimes called anvil stones, and also pitted hammerstones. In the 2nd and 3rd photos below, that's a pitted hammerstone made of sandstone. Shows battering at both ends, and a dimple/pit on each face. Are they finger grips? Well, they do prevent thumb and middle finger from slipping if I use the pits that way, but who knows? The last stone shown is a sandstone cobble, with light battering at the widest end only. I photographed it in very little light to emphasize just how deep and pronounced those 4 pits really are. Two pits on each face, and pits on each side. Clearly deliberate, but only very light battering wear. Again, ya got me.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    564.7 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    545.8 KB · Views: 198
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 221
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 101

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Only thing I can add is that so-called pitted hammerstones are extremely common. Found coast to coast. Never much doubt that the pits are deliberate. Whether they are actual finger grips, well, who knows? In the example I'm holding in the previous comment, I can hold it so my thumb and middle finger of my right hand are right in the pits. (I didn't use my other finger for that photo, however, just my thumb is in the pit on one face). Yes, it prevents slippage, but, realistically, I can certainly use that cobble as a hammer without needing those pits. But it is very common to see them interpreted as finger grips. Very, very common type of hammerstone....

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing I can add is that so-called pitted hammerstones are extremely common. Found coast to coast. Never much doubt that the pits are deliberate. Whether they are actual finger grips, well, who knows? In the example I'm holding in the previous comment, I can hold it so my thumb and middle finger of my right hand are right in the pits. (I didn't use my other finger for that photo, however, just my thumb is in the pit on one face). Yes, it prevents slippage, but, realistically, I can certainly use that cobble as a hammer without needing those pits. But it is very common to see them interpreted as finger grips. Very, very common type of hammerstone....

That is my question, is it even worth the time to make finger holds when it could be used with out them very easy. Then again on a small stone like the one I found why have them unless it gave the stone more striking force while hitting another stone.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pitted hammerstone can be held with one finger and thumb for pecking such as making a celt or grooved axe. Making a celt by pecking takes thousands of pecks to shape. If you hold a hammerstone tight in your hand and peck with it, all of the shock is transferred to your hand and wrist. If you hold a pitted hammerstone with your thumb and finger loosely, you can control the direction of the pecking and peck all day without the shock to your hand and wrist.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
well...you make a lot of flake tools and points...here is another question...can YOU design a flake knife or hand held tool that has good finger grips on purpose? I swear I have some that seem to fit on purpose in my finger tips.

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well...you make a lot of flake tools and points...here is another question...can YOU design a flake knife or hand held tool that has good finger grips on purpose? I swear I have some that seem to fit on purpose in my finger tips.

I have never tried to make a nice point with a stone, only performs an spall's. It doesn't take a very hard lick to remove a flake. So I have always used bone or copper, those two bites the stone better. This is the first hammer stone that I have found that had a spot that there was no doubt that it was put there for a reason.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bone marrow was an important part of prehistoric man's diet, bones were smashed and the greasy marrow retrieved. Fat is very hard to come by as a hunter gatherer.

I always imagined how slippery and slimy your hands could become after smashing bones all day, and had assumed these tiny dimples were just big enough to help keep the stone from slipping from your hands.

Hammer stones are very common, but over looked by most people because they haven't been altered much from their natural state, and are not easy to spot.

Once you start picking them up, they become easier to spot, they are very similar, fist sized-ish, very hard dense stone, with pecked dimples on opposing sides, and signs of wear on the striking surface.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
as much as hate to say it "it fits in my hand" has crossed my mind more than once on things I have picked up over the years.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find hammers with divots on each face. Must be a Woodland or Mississippian thing cause that is all the type of points I find in the same field. This one is so deep I would say its a paint pot almost.

Attachments

• SDC11046.JPG
    SDC11046.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 75

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions