Hammer Stone?? Dentate Stamp??

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

Not sure if these are anything. The round stone has a smooth-ish side and a rough-ish side that I tried to show in the pictures, I'm expecting it to be just a rock but wanted to make sure. The second one I think could possibly be a dentate stamp, but my guide describes it as a flake tool. Since this isn't a flake, I'm not sure. Also not sure if they would have used quartz for a dentate stamp. As always, thanks in advance for the help, looking forward to hearing what you guys think.
20150111_191039.jpg 20150111_191257.jpg 20150111_191335.jpg 20150111_191646.jpg 20150111_191753.jpg 20150111_191743.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure about them because I'm not good at identifying tools and have several cobbles/possible tools I haven't posted and prolly need to lol...but someone will come along and let you know what they think.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I don't find any rocks that perfect in shape like the first one. Is it stone or pottery? Im not sure myself. But the 2nd one looks natural to me. And again it could be something broken. Don't think I was much help.

OP
OP
-=METAL=-

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any response is appreciated rock!

OP
OP
-=METAL=-

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, and the first one is stone, I was kind of expecting to strike out with these.. I'm still trying to learn what things are and what they aren't.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had found a stone that round I would of carried it home no doubt.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes we just don't know. Maybe used for something or some purpose, maybe not. I sometimes think it is best for mysteries to remain mysteries. If we figure everything out, well, where would the fascination be? A great part of the thrill of searching/collecting comes from trying to figure out how NAs lived, how they got here, when did they get here, where did they come from. etc. Even archeologists don't know!

Last edited:
OP
OP
-=METAL=-

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes we just don't know. Maybe used for something or some purpose, maybe not. I sometimes think it is best for mysteries to remain mysteries. If we figure everything out, well, where would the fascination be? A great part of the thrill of searching/collecting comes from trying to figure out how NAs lived, how they got here, when did they get here, where did they come from. etc. Even archeologists don't know!

Sorry, but I disagree. I much rather know what it is or isn't. I'm plenty fascinated by many things we know and understand. I'm sure there are one or two people on the forum who can tell me definitively. Thanks for the response though.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't really see any battering wear to a degree that would suggest hammerstone.

Can't really make a call on the quartz. Might be a dentate, might not:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
-=METAL=-

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't really see any battering wear to a degree that would suggest hammerstone.

Can't really make a call on the quartz. Might be a dentate, might not:icon_scratch:

Hey Charl, yea I wasn't holding much hope out on that one.. More rocks for the backyard!

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Agree with charl. No marks from striking other stone of course unless it is an un-used hammer stone! I have found perfectly round rocks the size of baseballs that are just perfectly round rocks.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey man, I'd never even heard of a dentate stamp until just now, so you (or *I*) definitely learn something every day (whether it actually is one or not!) That first object? Obviously N.A. duckpin ball! 8-) Yakker

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A toothy piece of quartz, for sure but I wouldn't read a whole lot into what is probably just an incidental rock. If, by dentate stamp, you mean something for marking pottery, I imagine that wood would be the material of choice. Hey, I'd give 'em both a second look!

OP
OP
-=METAL=-

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. I'll include a picture from my book to show why I thought it might be that. Definitely some similarities here but who knows.

20150113_124149.jpg

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From Keith Wilbur's The New England Indians, and a small sandstone pebble dentate stamp. Looking at the quahog in the first illustration, a friend found one with dentate notches along the whole length, best dentate I've ever seen......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
-=METAL=-

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice dentate stamp, I see what you're saying. Without ever having seen some of the artifacts that you're posting, you could see how someone like myself could make these associations. I'm learning, and it looks like I need to pick up another book haha.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What led you to believe the round rock might be a tool? Well if not a hammerstone, you could heat it up (if it doesn't explode) and use it to boil water. Cool about dentate stamps. The area I'm from apparently didn't use those, so I've never found one, but interesting to learn about.

OP
OP
-=METAL=-

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What led you to believe the round rock might be a tool? Well if not a hammerstone, you could heat it up (if it doesn't explode) and use it to boil water. Cool about dentate stamps. The area I'm from apparently didn't use those, so I've never found one, but interesting to learn about.

That one I honestly didn't think it was anything, but I figured I'd just take it home and ask, because I have been surprised before. Better to take a rock home than to leave an artifact in the field is how I look at it. So to answer your question, it was the roundness of it, the one smooth side, and the one rough side basically. I didn't really think it looked worked, but wanted to make sure.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be a geode. If your sure it isn't a artifact break it open might be some gem crystals inside.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread