Hammer Stone

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a hammer stone that I picked up with some other items. I believe the stone to be authentic. The stick is covered with animal skin (you can see some fur in the seams) and sewn with what appears to be cotton thread. The skin looks as if it was shrunken around the stick. The bead work is sewn with sinew and the beads appear to be glass. the bottom part of the handle appears to be broken but it is actually made that way. The bottom end of the long piece and the top end of the short piece are carved/rounded and there was a piece of leather that used to connect them that is now torn. My dilemma is I have a strong urge to take it apart and separate the stone from the handle. What do you guys think?
As I said, I believe the stone to be authentic and assume that it was assembled into it's current state maybe sometime a few decades ago as a accessory for dance or ceremonial purposes. I'd just like to see what everyone else thinks.
20150617_140554.jpg 20150617_140519.jpg 20150617_140508.jpg

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes leave it as is just in case the handle is real. Some in the past would take a real stone and then add a handle later to make it better. But I would leave it as is just to be sure. Nice piece

OP
OP
Jamesabroad

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll leave it as is. Any idea why the handle would be two separate pieces?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1 the beads as to how old they are verses the stone. Id also call it a club and not a hammer. Could be older than I think Im no expert on those types of artifacts. Maybe somebody else will know for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions