Hancock Golf Course - Austin, Texas

R

robert_from_pa

Been wanting to hunt this place for along time, but never got up the nerve to ask for permission, until today! (I kinda hunted along one sidewalk yesterday, just to kinda test it out...) It's the oldest golf course in Texas, built in 1899. along the sidewalk I found a few wheats and some clad, so I was encouraged...

This morning, the resident pro was kinda reluctant at first, but I assured him that I wouldn't get in anyone's way, and he said sure, so off I go!

Hunted around the back of the clubhouse first - it has one of those HUGE oak trees that has limbs that touch the ground like an umbrella.... made my way down a trail thru some trees - BAM - 1943 quarter! Finally ended up under the oak tree - started finding coins, lots of clad, but after a while - BAM - 1944 quarter! I was getting stoked...

And I was finding LOTS of clad quarters... when I called my girlfriend during a break, I had 16, including the silvers!

After my break, I decided to hunt by the clubhouse - and I hit quarters again! One after the other... and then, one of the new Saquajawea dollar coins! Hunted a few more minutes there and ANOTHER one! Ended up finding 3 total...

Also managed to find 2 nice little silver rings - one has either a ruby or a garnet in it...

All in all - $13.22 total! 25 quarters (inc. 2 silver), 32 dimes, 1 nickle :P, 72 pennies (some wheats) and 3 dollar coins!

I hope to go back tomorrow, but I'm not sure, as it's kinda rainy right now... keep your fingers crossed!

Attachments

• hancock_finds.jpg
    hancock_finds.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 216
Upvote 0

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Robert!! I take it you now live in TX. Where in PA are you from?

sparkymaster

Feb 21, 2005
South Ogden, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX-XLT-M-6
WOW!!! Thoes are great finds. Kinda funny how the Sacs look so crappy after just a short time in the ground. Can tou imagine what the'll look like after ten or more years? Keep up the good work and post more pictures. Sparky.

OP
OP
R

robert_from_pa

Thank you :D

The "pa" actually stands for Port Arthur (TX..? like anyone would know that :P )? ? I now live in Austin, TX...

by the way, folks, I draw portraits in pencil - please take a look at my site and tell me what you think! http://www.portraitart.net

eathabs said:
Great finds Robert!! I take it you now live in TX. Where in PA are you from?

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Hey Robert from Port Arthur. Welcome to the site! Great finds in great quantities. Anytime you beat $2.00/hr. you're doin' great! I've heard alot of people mention hunting golf courses. This is the first post I've read where someone actually gave accounts of hunting one. I haven't gotten the nerve to ask yet. Something intimidating about all that groomed landscape. Thanks for the insight, and keep posting~CO2

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Howdy Robert. Great day for you & silver too. NIce pix too. I'm jealous. Welcome to the forum. Like Co2, I haven't got up the nerve to ask at either of our two golf courses. Spotz

OP
OP
R

robert_from_pa

Thanks, guys!

One thing about permission - you never know uness you ask!

And about the course and where I hunted... I really didn't even get on the course proper - i just hunted around part of the perimeter... under old oak trees with leaves on the ground... it just LOOKS really, really old, if you know what I mean...

I may consider hunting the actual fairways at night when there are no golfers on the course...

Colorado2 said:
Hey Robert from Port Arthur.? Welcome to the site!? Great finds in great quantities.? Anytime you beat $2.00/hr. you're doin' great!? I've heard alot of people mention hunting golf courses.? This is the first post I've read where someone actually gave accounts of hunting one.? I haven't gotten the nerve to ask yet.? Something intimidating about all that groomed landscape.? Thanks for the insight, and keep posting~CO2?

nitro

Dec 30, 2004
Round Rock, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Robert, I found one of those dollars last week, showed as quarter. Nice surprise. I checked out your web site, you are an awsome artist, very impressive work. Any time you want to get together and hunt I live in Round Rock, give me a holler and we will do some hunting. Joe

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Great day for you with some nice finds! Congrats! Excellent art also! Have you have gone to Wetcanvas.com ?? Website for artist of all mediums. I'm a watercolor artist and love wetcanvas.
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread