Hand Dredge/Sucker Pump PVC

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Hi All,

I posted this under "The Tool Shed" but want to capture a wider audience to maybe find what I am looking for.

I thought this idea was at least partly original and then found out others before me were already making "hand dredges" out of PVC. I am not totally satisfied with the few I have seen on the net except for one "store model" which was way too pricey.

So does anyone have any instructions/diagrams for making one of these so I can suck some gravel out of a sandbar without using a battery or water operated pump. Just want an air/vacuum pump type of deal which is lightweight and fullproof. Would like a couple different diameters. Maybe a 6/8 inch to a 2 inch ? All materials need to be waterproof.
Would like to be able to use it in the water too.

itmaiden

seismosaurus

Feb 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur , imagenex sidescan, ogf-w magnetometer
why do you like to use an airlift above waterinjection ?
if shallow you can have good results with a waterpump

OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Oh no, it has to be extremely light and portable. I am going to be doing river and creek hopping with it.

Here is an idea of what I am talking about:

http://www.qis.net/~rodando/gold.html

itmaiden

Dell Winders said:
The only thing that comes to mind that matches your description is a Canister type Shop Vac. I picked mine up at a yard sale for $5. They are usually 110 V, but a small gasoline generator, probably wont cost any more than a battery and an inverter, and give you much longer use than the fast drain it would have on a battery. Dell

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread