🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this today in my electrolysis tank! However I really dug it a few weeks ago in that post when I found those two off struck state coppers and the shoe buckle. I wasnt going to process this until this spring, because its too cold out there to be messing with buckets of water and hosing stuff off. But, since I have a little time off work, I filled up my electrolysis tank yesterday, dealt with wet numb hands, and processed a few pieces. This hammer head came out of the tank today and it was so nice, I just had to share it. Typically I would tack this onto the original post, however that was a few weeks ago and I don't want to bump the thread.

Some of you know, I process a lot of iron! Probably too much, since I have boxes of preserved iron with no place to display it all. The condition of the iron on this hammer is pretty typical, but whats cool is the amount of wood that is left. Based on the site this was dug at, I would say this is pre 1850's. It is definitely hand forged by a blacksmith and one of the nicest tools I've dug.

gif tnet.gi.gif

I was actually very excited when I dug this hammer head! Being someone who enjoys preserving iron, I knew it would be a very nice piece in one of my displays. Many people leave stuff like this behind... I know this because I pick through the piles of iron other diggers leave and have found some really great stuff! :laughing7: Hopefully more people will take up an interest in electrolysis and preserve some of the best stuff we dig :occasion14:

IMG_20161228_150750.jpg IMG_20161230_133324.jpg

Upvote 10

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did you clean it ,with acid?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How did you clean it ,with acid?

Hey Bob, I use electrolysis only. I've tried every other technique from acid to evapo-rust and I have not cared for any of them.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks good

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One day? You using a twenty amp charger?

That would take me a month with my jerry rigged phone charger.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One day? You using a twenty amp charger?

That would take me a month with my jerry rigged phone charger.

Haha. Yeah, I've built quite the setup and it's evolved over the years to greatly improve efficiency. I use carbon rod anodes and a car charger running at 2amps. The anodes are what improved my efficiency the most.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too love cleaning old hand forged tools. You always do justice to the handiwork of the ole blacksmiths.Before and afters are soooo cool, I do the same as well. Here is one I dug recently. ( I hope you don't mind )

wertfgj (2).JPG zzzzhj.JPG

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm envisioning something like a Plasma Nebula Ball effect coming from you garage. plasma_ball_1_by_okavanga-d83yhqp.jpg

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the solution that your using?

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too love cleaning old hand forged tools. You always do justice to the handiwork of the ole blacksmiths.Before and afters are soooo cool, I do the same as well. Here is one I dug recently. ( I hope you don't mind )

View attachment 1396309 View attachment 1396310

Very nice! I don't mind at all... I really like it when others share too. :icon_thumright:. Is that an ACV soaked hammer?

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is the solution that your using?

I did a post a while ago about my modifications. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/cleaning-preservation/481085-electrolysis-setup-modifications.html This post assumes someone already is very familiar with electrolysis. I just go over my modifications in there to a typical electrolysis setup.... Which there are dozens of videos and tutorials online about. Since I've written that post, I've modified the anode connectors even more to make them easier to replace worn rods.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! I don't mind at all... I really like it when others share too. :icon_thumright:. Is that an ACV soaked hammer?

No, I use mainly electrolysis as used on this one. I only use ACV on delicate iron pieces that may otherwise not survive the tank. This hammer had one claw missing as well as a missing head, a clean break...unless it was made that way on purpose.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice find and preservation! :occasion14:

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Relic cleanup

OutdoorAdv, thanks for the link to your electrolysis writeup. Appreciate the many photos too. The info you shared is yvery valuable for once we dig up our relics. Sure do appreciate you sharing this with us.

I like your preservation method and materials too! Super craftsmans work! :award_star_silver_2

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love that the wood survived as well encrusted under the rust, nice work as usual saving that iron Brad. Did you poly or hot wax after the tank?

The wood had a crust on it that broke off. Almost like the iron oxidized a shell around it. I did boiling wax after. The wood is much darker now but totally dry and sealed for good. The picture in this post, after electrolysis and before hot wax was very nice with the wood and metal contrast.... But now it's darker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread