30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cstraiton said:
I'm new to the forum and I'm looking into getting my first MD. I was just wondering how useful is a handheld pinpointer? If I bought my MD from a certain online retailer, they have an offer to get an Automax V4 pinpointer for an extra $20.00. Is that deal worth getting? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Probably...
A pinpointer is good to have when your out digging around, maybe better when your new to this
hobby, I say maybe because like everything in this world there are good ones and bad ones.
I have never heard of this one...
but for 20 ?? you probably won't lose any sleep over that one...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have pin pointers but never use them :icon_scratch: To much junk for me. Maybe old school but I always keep my coil close and swing my hand over it. I have a friend that spends more time with a pinpointer than digging the target. None of its rocket science. Harbor freight also carrys one for around 15 bucks.
Good luck and have a blast. Hope you find many treasures :thumbsup:
TnMtns

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted the same thing about that namebrand pinpointer because I was in the market for a new pin pointer and found out kellyco kind of includes them with detectors they sell. If you had the extra cash and want a pinpointer I would at least get one of the fisher,teknetics, or bounty hunter models.........you can find them new for about 50.00.....or you can go to harbor freight like alot of the other guys on here and get theirs also for about the same as your talking about..I used to not use a pinpointer but I tried a Whites bullseye 2 and I fell inlove with it. I sold it with a detector as package deal and I missed it.......I now have a vibra probe I got off of a T'net member. Now I am looking into the Sun ray that works with your metal detectors ID but they are a little bit pricey for your average detectorist. A pin pointer can aid quite a bit in finding what is in the hole and keep you from scratching that "rare key date coin" you may have found too.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a detector and got that pinpointer deal. It lasted a very short time, and didn't work very good. Got a sunray and love it, but can't use it with other units. Will be getting the propointer from garrett, have only heard good about them.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
save your 20 bucks... same for the bounty hunter one. I personally don't see the need for one. Maybe I'm just old school.

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
cstraiton said:
Thanks for the input guy's. Maybe my $20 will be better spent by putting it towards another coil. That would probably be more useful.

I go the other way: I can't detect without a pinpointer. It cuts my retrieval time in half. Check my video:

The pinpointer I'm using in that video costs fifteen bucks at Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97245

It's like a TV remote control: You don't know you need it until you use it. Then you have to have it all the time.

---Dan Hughes, http://danhughes.net

OP
OP
cstraiton

cstraiton

Sep 29, 2009
Flatwoods, Kentucky
Great video. I actually learned a lot from that. I definitely see the benefit of using a pinpointer. Maybe I'll get the cheap one and see how long it lasts. If I wear it out and like using one, I can always upgrade to a better one later. Thanks for your post danhughes1 it was very helpful.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TnMountains said:
I have pin pointers but never use them :icon_scratch: To much junk for me. Maybe old school but I always keep my coil close and swing my hand over it. I have a friend that spends more time with a pinpointer than digging the target. None of its rocket science. Harbor freight also carrys one for around 15 bucks.
Good luck and have a blast. Hope you find many treasures :thumbsup:
TnMtns
Agreed

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the Harbor Freight pinpointer and love it. It will not detect anything deep but I was looking for something to help me locate something in the dirt I already dug up. It has saved me a lot of time. Small items such as dimes and small jewelry are hard to locate and pinpoint without swinging over it several times and checking and rechecking. Also if you have an object near the surface you can run the pinpointer over it and save from digging a large hole. For $15 dollars it is a great starter until you get something much better. I too would not hunt with one.

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
4-H said:
If you must have one buy a "Pistol probe" from Detector Pro. Detector Pro is the makers of the infamous "Grey Ghost" headphones. I tried the pistol probe and I'll be honest IT GOES DEEP. I can't use it any where near my Etrac unless I turn it off. I don't use them because The less I have to carry in the woods the better for me. To be honest with you Buy a good one if you must use one. The old saying goes.........You get what you pay for. There ya go

Can't you vary the depth on the Detector Pro? You can set the sensitivity up to a bit over three inches with the Cen-Tec (Harbor Freight) pinpointer, but that's too far for your best efficiency. The whole point of the pinpointer is to pinpoint, and if it beeps at more than an inch from the coin, it isn't telling you enough about where the coin is.

I know that sounds silly, but you have to experiment in the field to understand. Your main detector gets you close, then the pinpointer zeroes in. The farther the beep is from the coin, the harder is it to find the coin. For me, about an inch is just about right.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I land hunt I use the DetectorPro Uniprobe, cuts recovery time in half, I rarely dig a hole wider then 1.5-2 inches, and most times there are no signs I was ever there when I leave as I also use the EZ-DIG-R II system.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find a pinpointer invaluable when coin shooting. Especially when the coin is small and has been in the soil long enough to become the same color as the soil. Also true for any small target that discolors and blends in. Pinpointer use can help keep the plug or hole to a minimum, less noticable size and over several hours of hunting save a lot of time in the retrieval. I'm a believer in "if you like it, use it" whether I agree or not, but a pinpointer is always in my arsenal.
hh
BB

Old_Tex

Aug 25, 2009
I just went to Harbor Freight and bought their "Hand Held Metal Detector." It is made by Cen-Tech (?) However, it makes a great pinpointer. $15. Old_tex

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my Garrett Pinpointer in the mail today. From doing air tests I can not wait to use it in the field. It should cut my recovery time a lot......Matt

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a Harbor Freight pin pointer also. It has worked fine for me and I am quite happy with it. Although it is not really necessary, it has cut my recovery time a lot since I made it part of my gear.

capt1989

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something nobody has mentioned is the fact that when your hunting a school yard or grassy
play area and you get a "Multiple" coin signal that is obviously shallow, (surface but under the grass)
Pinpointers are indispensable in finding all the coins in a small area without the need to stand up
and re-find another target in the same 6 inches.
You can just stay there on the ground and rub that pinpointer all around and dig all those pennies
without getting up again.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My DetectorPro Uniprobe will detect 4-6 inches deep depending on soil conditions, most others don't go that deep. I use it under bleachers and playgrounds under the equipment where you cant swing a coil.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can make your own very easily from a stud finder and little bit of modification.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread