Handheld x-ray fluorescence spectrometers

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems a Handheld x-ray fluorescence spectrometer could really speed things up, save a ton of back ache, and improve the take home.

Anybody using one?

Here are some links to the things.

Spectro ametek - Skyray Instrument EDX-3000

New Lanscientific Handheld X-Ray Fluorescence Gold Spectrometer in Suzhou, Jiangsu, China - Suzhou Lanscientific Instrument Co. Ltd.

X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy | Illuminating Fossils

I wonder what the least expensive ones go for.

Upvote 0

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have thought about it.

One way you could help get your money back on a unit is supplying your services for detecting counterfeit items. or identifying metals.

Bronze artifacts have a distinctive mix of metals depending on age and place they were made.

Counterfeit coins could also be detected. and could be used for in home lead testing

In most cases these XRF units will not detect gold or silver under 1/10 oz per ton.

for someone that was retired and into prospecting and wanted to make money on the side this might be good.

The SPECTRO xSORT at $4,380.00 looks good but i need to see more about its ranges for different metals/materials.

OP
OP
ConceptualizedNetherlandr
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
I think there is some depth penetration, after all they are xrays. I know that benchtop lab units can look at the surface and various depths, albeit relatively shallow in geologic terms, might get past clad in a coin.

Detection limits on some units go down to PPM or even less, load up all the models and read til you drop :D

The idea is not just to verify all those nuggets you find littering the landscape tripping up hikers, but to look at the over all chemical composition of the host rock. Mineralogy/Lithology. Using the associations known in geologic interpretation to focus your efforts.

In the case of placer I bet this would run circles around anyone pan sampling as the first cut. Walk along that bank cut shooting samples in the wall until you find the best place dig into that pay streak instead of breaking your back.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread