Hanging Mans Gold

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Excerpts from The News and Observer, Raleigh NC, dated 1955: "One of them too old to go (into Confederate service during the Civil War) was Parker Rand, son of Nathaniel Greene Rand, who had been born in 1793, and who was 68 years old when the war began. When it ended and Sherman's troops reached Rand property in 1865, old Parker Rand was living in the original house. The Yankees picked up a rumor that the old man had a large amount of gold buried somewhere near the house. All the ex-slaves had heard the rumor, but none knew where the gold was. The Yankees ordered old Parker Rand out into the yard of his home. Where, they asked sternly, had he hidden his gold. The old man replied just as sternly that he¹d not tell them. ROPE AROUND NECK After seeing that they were getting nowhere with that [lines missing]. . .

"For a couple of minutes, the old man stared at the Yankees and they stared back. He said nothing, and they did nothing. Finally, he broke the silence. Rand family tradition fondly records his speech: "What are you Yankees waiting for? If you are scared that hanging me would be a sin that would send you straight to hell--why, don't stop on that account. Every one of you have committed enough sins south of here to be sent to hell 40 times each. I¹m not going to tell you, so go ahead and hang me."
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Name: Parker Rand 1 2 3 4
Sex: M
Birth: 11 AUG 1793 in Wake Co, NC
Death: 19 JAN 1876 in prb Rand Plantation, Garner, Wake Co, NC
Burial: AFT 19 JAN 1876 Rand plantation graveyard
Census: 1850 Lowndes Co, MS; RE $2500
Residence: BEF 1850 Clayton, Johnston Co, NC, 10 mi SE of Raleigh
Residence: 1870 Rand Plantation; Parker and Ann lived with bro NG, after returning from MS.
Event: !Event 1812 War of 1812
Event: !Event 5 MAR 1840 Deposed re his father's military service
Event: !Event 2 DEC 1850 purchased 81.31 A; MS/Choctaw baseline, 20N township, Range 11E, Section 3
Note:
Parker Rand, 56, m, $2500 RE, b NC, and wife Ann, 55, f, b NC were in household of Wiley H Williams, 37, Planter, and wife Mary A E Williams, 35, in 1850 census of Lowndes Co, MS. (Esker wonders if Mary was d/o Parker and Ann.)

Parker has several land grants on file in MS, at Bureau of Land Management. He and Ann returned to NC, though, where they died and are buried.

C10steve

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2010
Maybe I'm confused but if this happened in 1865 then why didn't he die until 1876? From what I can dig up he didn't own slaves only a mill.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Nathaniel Greene RAND; Sex: M Name: Nat R RAND ... slaves, 11 black female slaves, 4 free black men, 2 free black women 1840 US Federal Census, Wake Co, North Carolina: Nathl G Rand

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions