Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
So I took the last few weeks off from CRHing to focus on finishing strong in school in order to graduate college. One of my coin collecting buddies gave me a graduation present the other day. It was pretty cool...he set up a bit of a coin roll hunt. He threw in a bunch of common coins in with a few good ones. The results: 4 Mercs (1936, 1938, 1941D, 1942S //Bolds are new to my collection), 2 Buffs (1929, 1936), and a 1884O Morgan Dollar! :hello2: Pics Below. This present coupled with my big CRHing return (see An EPIC Return Kills Category 3) sure has me excited about rejoining the rest of you guys in the hunt.

DSC04650.JPG DSC04659.JPG

Upvote 0

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take my advice, a 4-year degree today is the high-school degree of ten years ago. Pursue post-graduate education.

Solid advice, but I would like to add to this. STEM fields are your best bet for post-grad. But DO NOT get a post-grad degree on your own dime. I know it's easier said than done, but get a job first. Hopefully one with a tuition reimbursement plan, and have your employer pay for your post-grad degree. That way you gain experience in industry as well.

xnytxowlx

Sep 15, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
100% depends on what your major is. If you are an accounting major, my firm hires college grads at $57k. If you have your mba, it is like $60k, so not worth it to start your career.

Later in life though, its good to get it.

Other majors, there will obviously be different sitautions.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congratulations.

no, a four year degree is not a high school equivalent...wonder where this stuff comes from? not graduates.

if money is all that motivates you, choose a graduate major wisely.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Very Nice Sleepy, best of luck in life to you! HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
Sleepy Holow

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the good career advice guys! I got a dual BS in Electrical and Computer Engineering. I plan to go work out in industry for a little bit and then use my employer tuition reimbursement to get a Master's Degree of some sort. I know a lot of engineers go one of two routes: 1) MBA, to go the management route or 2) Technical Master's Degree, in order to get paid more. Guess I'll see in a couple of years which direction suits me and my family best. I start work in a couple of weeks with a company, then I'll hear from the Air Force Officer program in February if they want me or not. In the Air Force, I'd be moving approximately every three years, so that would make the CRHing really interesting. My boss at this company knows I want to get in the Air Force, so it's not a big deal or anything to him.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
100% depends on what your major is. If you are an accounting major, my firm hires college grads at $57k. If you have your mba, it is like $60k, so not worth it to start your career.

Later in life though, its good to get it.

Other majors, there will obviously be different sitautions.

You are spot on that majors vary. But you are wrong about MBAs; an MBA from a reputable school will pay roughly $120,000 starting salary (Penn, Harvard, ect) vs all the others.

Employment Statistics - Data & Statistics - MBA Recruiting - Harvard Business School

congratulations.

no, a four year degree is not a high school equivalent...wonder where this stuff comes from? not graduates.

if money is all that motivates you, choose a graduate major wisely.

Yes it is, this stuff comes from the real world and experiance in it.

Go to school for economics for 4 years, see where it gets you beside low-paying government jobs.
Go to school for Psychology for 4 years and see where it gets you--- $20K at the most.
Go to school for liberal arts for 4 years and you will be stuck working at star bucks as a barista.
Get a BS in Chemistry for 4 years, you will have miniscule starting salary.
I know a man who dual majored in Physics and Geology, genius, 4 year degree, guess what? He makes $35-40K a year, and is going back for his masters because he realizes a 4-year degree won't pay for itself.
Go to school for a Biology B.S. - State game commission? Research assitant? $30K if you're lucky
4- year Business Management- McDonalds GM $40K a year.

Go to school for economics + JD, you make $130,000 (starting, people I know)
Psychology +Phd, practice ~$70,000
Liberal arts, lol no comment
Chemistry + Phd, $70,000+
Physics, Geology + Phd ~ $80,000 from what friend was saying.
Biology + Med school ~ $100K starting salary.
BSBA + (DECENT) MBA $120K/year.

Employers realize that most people going to school these days are a bunch of entitled fools, with their parents paying for their education. Lets say, ten, twenty years ago, with a high school degree you earned slightly better than minimum wage, and were at least able to find a reputable line of work, people with no high school degrees worked minimum wage jobs. Back then, most BS/BA/BSBA degrees, commended larger salaries.

Now-a-days, People with no HS degree either collect state assisted aid (ie, food stamps, welfare) or are criminals. Now a days, high school degrees fill the minimum wage jobs and 4-yearcollege degrees do slightly better than this. Now-a-days, it is the Post graduate education that commends significantly larger salaries.

pippin my man, I don't mean to step on your toes, but your post, it seems like you took your tone because I assume you have kids in school. let me give you some honest advice, make sure they are doing a useful major first of all. second of all, show them my post, cause, it will make them realize how useless their 4-year degree will probably be, and consequently make them decide to care more about their GPA, which will improve their chances of cheaper post-graduate education. Good GPA and test (MCAT, LSAT, GMAT) scores, you can get post-graduate education fairly cheap depending on the field.

Last edited:

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the good career advice guys! I got a dual BS in Electrical and Computer Engineering. I plan to go work out in industry for a little bit and then use my employer tuition reimbursement to get a Master's Degree of some sort. I know a lot of engineers go one of two routes: 1) MBA, to go the management route or 2) Technical Master's Degree, in order to get paid more. Guess I'll see in a couple of years which direction suits me and my family best. I start work in a couple of weeks with a company, then I'll hear from the Air Force Officer program in February if they want me or not. In the Air Force, I'd be moving approximately every three years, so that would make the CRHing really interesting. My boss at this company knows I want to get in the Air Force, so it's not a big deal or anything to him.

now dis is a useful degree, good going sleepy, it's useful, you have a plan, so you can post-pone post graduate education. congratulations.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats and nice coins btw......esp the Morgan and that '29 buff....man that coins beautiful.....looks like its high grade gem bu like the day it was minted.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri

Sleepy - Congrats. Engineering / MBA is a pretty secure route.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread