happy I found this website:

hunterken

Jun 4, 2009
Hello everybody: my name is Ken, I'm 61, I live in Duluth, Mn. I am new at MDing, last Nov. I purchased a dfx-300 I brought it to Cocoa Beach, Florida. with me for Jan.&Feb. used it maybe 10 or 12 times for 1hr. each time.I found $2.60 all modern money,some pieces of aluminum & two big lead fishing sinkers. I had a lot of fun finding these things!!Back in Duluth, it's been really cold I did get out a few times and I find modern money every time.I need to find some place to search that might have old silver coins! anyway this metal detecting has got me hooked!!! more fun than the antique road show.....

Likely Guy

Ken, I'm no expert at MD'ing, but allow me to be the first to welcome you to this forum.

From what I gather here, the three R's are, 'Research', 'Research', 'Research'.

A few days in the county court house, land office, Sanborn website, etc. and you'll be an expert too.

And yeah, Antique Road Show... *spitting sound*. :sleepy2:

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Welcome to TNET Ken, you will never get bored browsing through the many wonderful threads
here. Good luck and hope to see some of your finds soon! :thumbsup:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet Ken! I am a hobbyist instead of a real treasure hunter and I enjoy finding just about anything unusual or old. Old to me means back to the WWII era. Silver coins are getting harder and harder to find. Your best bet right now is probably older neighborhoods around older houses. Always ask permission, fill your holes and be mindful of others property and you will do fine. I am nearing 65 and took up the chase about 4 years ago and I am an addict now. It doesnt take long to get hooked. Be sure to post your finds and check in with us often. Good luck! Monty

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Greetings, and a big WELCOME to the site and to the hobby. :hello:

You will find a million little tricks and hints as you gain more time
in the hobby.

My BEST suggestion:
Go on the Internet.
Find an old map of the city you live in (Duluth) - one say from the 1950s
when silver was still in circulation. Study the map.
Where were the parks, schools, campgrounds, ball fields
back then? What do they look like on a modern map?
What were the main thoroughfares, the main cross-streets?
Soon, you'll be well on your way to knowing a LOT more :coffee2:
about your local history, and this will provide the clues to areas
that have the oldest coins.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us. I have heard that the DFX is a great little machine. It sounds like it is doing a great job for you. Research is the key that unlocks the treasure door. This is a great site. Don't be afraid to ask us any questions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread