harbour freight tools

Guns

May 1, 2013
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a newbie, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say you get what you pay for. Most Harbour freight tools are very low quality. I buy stuff there, but only stuff that is unique or I don't use it often. Good luck. Please post what you end up doing.
Your neighbor in Jax.
Guns

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
Except for the pin pointer their metal detectors will only satisfy you if your looking for lost keys or a lot marker . Your best off saving up a few more bucks and buying the new Compadre with a 8" coil for a buck sixty ( $160 ) . It's a great way to get started and if you decide the hobby is not for you they are EZ to resell .
Woodstock

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO NO NO !!!!!!!!! They are pure unadulterated junk! If you want to stay under $100 have a look at Rat (radio) shack. I think bounty hunter is still making theirs. Even Wally mart has better. I hate seeing people buying the HF detectors because I know people are going to try & use them and get frustrated and throw em away, and miss out on a great hobby.

Another hint. Look at Craigs list for your area! There's always people selling their machines. You should be able to find a good deal or possibly work a trade for something you have laying around gathering dust.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a novigear best buys equal to the harbor freight metal detector and it sucks. I'm only finding clad and tabs and it gets very very discouraging. Only thing that keeps me going is I'm to curious to see what's next. Get a detector with a name on it, even a cheap one will be better then the toys.

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
try cabelas sports store if you have one by you. right now in nw indiana they are selling a cabelas bounty hunter usually $199 1/2 off looks decent im getting one and i already own an ace 350. note buying so i can hunt along with my son and i cannot afford more so this seems like a good deal. also they sell garrett head phones for $30 i bought them, they are comfortable and adjustable. check it out. also remember they cabelas do not carry the same sales at all their stores, tell them the one in hammond indiana has it on sale this week, like now, today is monday 26 august wont last long good luck with whatever you decide

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A previous poster nailed it...HF sells the cheapest of the cheap. Might be ok for a special tool you're gonna use once and have no expectations beyond that. Buying a metal detector at HF is a seriously bad idea. Already a few great suggestions on where to look for a budget detector.

Tesoro also has some great low-end detectors that are easy to use.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As boogeyman said.Go to craigslist in your area.
Around my area there are Bounty hunters for sale,Tracker4, and pioneers all day for under $100.
At least with these you have a couple choices with a smaller shooter coil,and they are way better than the HF.

cond2013

Greenie
Jul 3, 2013
Dont forget Pawn shops! Sometimes you can find a deal! Also bought a new Whites Coin Master with 2 yr warranty for $179.00 plus tax! Already found $40. In change and a gold ring in a little over 2 months...

dannylvn2009

May 15, 2013
I bought a Bounty Hunter Pro 505 off craigslist. Ended being at a pawn shop around the corner from the house. He wanted $130, got him down to 120. For $170 total I have a 4" coil, and a carry case. First time out in 15 min found 2 Roosevelt dimes at a local park.

Grumpy711

Dec 2, 2012
South East Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree check the pawn shops, yesterday I bought a Garrett 250 at a pawn shop for $129 out the door. They had it listed for $149 but came down. It even came with 4 rechargeable batteries, I'm not sure it was ever used. I tried it today at a local park and found 31 cents and a bunch of bottle caps.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Save your money. HF is pretty much use it once and throw it away stuff.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hand tools are o.k. at HF but the electronics are junk save your money up and by a Name brand.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dealing with pawn shops 101. Remember, they payed 1/4 or a little above for the detector. Ask them if they bought it or took it on a pawn. If they bought it you have a little more leverage on the price. If they took it on a pawn, it's been sitting for three months & they expect to make that back. Take cash with you! My favorite tactic is to know what I want to pay, and pull out that much in cash & tell them "This is what I have to spend". Can't count how many times I've picked my money up off the counter & they've said OK before I could hit the door.

Another hint, Put up a wanted ad on Craigs list. I think it jogs peoples memories & they say Hey I got one of those sitting in the closet. Sometimes people will respond that they have a [fill in the blank] they'll sell you for..... A lot of times it's better than what you're looking for at the same price.

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Harbour freight tools has a dew metal detectors for cheap. Any one know if they are any good before I go buy one. I'm in Jacksonville fl it the only place I have seen them.

I overall agree with everyone's replies, however I had a coupon and purchased the 7 Function machine (The better of the two they offer) for a little of nothing. Straight out of the box I was finding clad (modern coins), keys, locks, relics, etc. Let's be reasonable, it's a metal detector. It finds metallic objects. As for quality, I'm not saying it is no where near as good as name brand equipment. Cons -shaft is flimsy, one tone for all hits on targets, naturally no target id, no depth indicator, very basic dicrimination, etc. Pros - Pinpoint - red button on grip (as good as all major brands I've owned) impressive, coil is made durable, headphone jack (believe it or not), lightweight (can swing all day), entry level affordable price (with coupon, I paid as much as someone would for a carton of cigarettes). :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread