Hard Clay Bottoms & The Carnival Clown

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard clay bottoms, I hate them! I'm 5'8” and only about 135lbs, folks see me trying to recover a target from this hard clay and they think I'm hopping around in the water on a pogo-stick.

Slick. OK, so the target is just in the surface of the clay so well just try to skim the surface with the scoop, ever seen a little guy doing the moon walk under water? The scoop hardly moves as I move backwards.

At this point I resemble a pug in full panting mode, the target still under my coil. Heaven forbid that I find myself over these hard clay bottoms with an abundance of targets, which I typically do these days. People are now paying to sit on the shoreline just to watch this little carnival clown go through his routine, my hunting partner threatening to sell popcorn, hotdogs, peanuts and cold drinks. A new lake, a new crowd of spectators, I've come to know all about life on the road.

Sticky. Just when you think you might have actually captured your pry you discover that it has simply moved from point A to point B, sucking itself to the sticky clay bottom with the persistence of a leech as the slow progress of your scoop nudges it along. You can try to push it into the scoop with your foot but this is sort of a 50/50 proposition that you'll actually manage it and still get your wading shoe back?
I'm getting pretty good at recovering my wading shoe though, that becoming almost a 95% sure thing.

Dark water. Never fails, the water is never clear enough to see the bottom, the mask and snorkel just for show and a little added color, all just part of the carnival wardrobe. Kids think it looks, “Kool!”

Of all the conditions I find myself in these days these hard and sticky clay bottoms are the absolute worst. Out here a target only has to be a few inches under the surface to be considered “deep”, snatching one before the fifth or six try a real conquest, indeed, 8 or 10 attempts not all that uncommon. For obvious reasons cherry picking becomes extremely attractive.

So, feeling as though I have enough first hand experience with these hard clay bottoms now I'm setting out to design the ultimate scoop for the environment. I'll let you know when it's complete and after I've given it a few test drives. Just been spending way too much time an energy recovering too few targets while passing over the majority. Time for a change in tactics!
DSC_5227 crp.jpg DSC_5228 crp.jpg

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard clay bottoms, I hate them! I'm 5'8” and only about 135lbs, folks see me trying to recover a target from this hard clay and they think I'm hopping around in the water on a pogo-stick.

Slick. OK, so the target is just in the surface of the clay so well just try to skim the surface with the scoop, ever seen a little guy doing the moon walk under water? The scoop hardly moves as I move backwards.

At this point I resemble a pug in full panting mode, the target still under my coil. Heaven forbid that I find myself over these hard clay bottoms with an abundance of targets, which I typically do these days. People are now paying to sit on the shoreline just to watch this little carnival clown go through his routine, my hunting partner threatening to sell popcorn, hotdogs, peanuts and cold drinks. A new lake, a new crowd of spectators, I've come to know all about life on the road.

Sticky. Just when you think you might have actually captured your pry you discover that it has simply moved from point A to point B, sucking itself to the sticky clay bottom with the persistence of a leech as the slow progress of your scoop nudges it along. You can try to push it into the scoop with your foot but this is sort of a 50/50 proposition that you'll actually manage it and still get your wading shoe back?
I'm getting pretty good at recovering my wading shoe though, that becoming almost a 95% sure thing.

Dark water. Never fails, the water is never clear enough to see the bottom, the mask and snorkel just for show and a little added color, all just part of the carnival wardrobe. Kids think it looks, “Kool!”

Of all the conditions I find myself in these days these hard and sticky clay bottoms are the absolute worst. Out here a target only has to be a few inches under the surface to be considered “deep”, snatching one before the fifth or six try a real conquest, indeed, 8 or 10 attempts not all that uncommon. For obvious reasons cherry picking becomes extremely attractive.

So, feeling as though I have enough first hand experience with these hard clay bottoms now I'm setting out to design the ultimate scoop for the environment. I'll let you know when it's complete and after I've given it a few test drives. Just been spending way too much time an energy recovering too few targets while passing over the majority. Time for a change in tactics!
View attachment 1472991 View attachment 1472993

I'd rather have a hard clay bottom than one with tons of seaweed, reeds, or grasses.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I can tell you the secret, I used several scoops in clay..all sucked and I would have to flip the scoop around, underwater, and pull the clay out with my foot. Until I got the 720..the holes up front keep it from sticking. Very rare do I have a issue anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread