TogaMario

Greenie
Jul 2, 2007
Hartsville, SC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy plenty of old rock, bluegrass, and even classical music pieces, but I really love metal and hard rock. Lamb of God, As I Lay Dying, Avenged Sevenfold, Tool and Killswitch Engage are some of my favorites currently. I've never dressed in a gothic fashion, nor dyed my hair. I rarely get to go to concerts (last was Chevelle/Taproot/30 Seconds to Mars), since I live in SC ... it's a limited selection that comes this way. My wife is just getting used to it, and maybe even liking it a bit. I have to admit, I don't enjoy the screaming vocals so much as I do the precision of instruments and the ability of said singer to belt it without tearing up his vocal chords or popping a blood vessel.

Anyone else have some hard-rock / metal favorites? Also, does anyone know why they decided to call it "Metal"?

t0t41n00b

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2007
Fairview, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000/Di
I totally love all kinds of metal.
If you want to see what I'm talking about, check out my last.fm profile at www.last.fm/user/theprophet/

Of course, I like to recommend my #1 listened to band, Daath. I think you might like them.
I've dressed like a "goth" for going on 4 years and I've liked metal for that time, but I still don't exactly know where the word came from. I just care about the music.

beavis

Mar 11, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hey Toga !! Heavy Metal has been around for a long time. The chords & composition is different now, but it's still good. It's one form of music that I can still get into. I grew up with the 70's versions like Black Sabbath. Slipknot rocked. Years apart but same mindset.

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was born in the 70's... literally raised on Sabbath, Floyd and Arthur Brown. From there, I was into the Glam Rock of the early and mid 80's. Then I found metal. I've been hooked ever since. I still favor some of the great 80's Metal/Thrash bands .... Paradise Lost, Life of Agony, Sepultura...

Today, I still listen to as much new stuff as I can.. but as I get older, they do start to sounds a lot alike. Some of my favorites today are MushroomHead, Ramstein, Motograter, Lamb of God, Children of Bodom... I also enjoy the 'novelty' bands that decide image is just as (if not more) important than the music itself.... some bands that come to mind are SlipKnot, Lordi and MushroomHead).

But, when i'm in the mood for easy listening, some of my favorites are Nickleback, Thornley, classic Metallica and Megadeth, Classic Maiden (anything before No Rest...)

I'm just an old metal head... I wear a shirt and tie to work every day.. I have people pulling up next to me in traffic every day doing a double take when they hear the music, then see a clean shaven, short hair and proffesionally dressed person listening to this stuff! I love it!

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
Love Hard Rock > Ozzy , Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, ACDC,Metallica, Guns & Roses !! Always have > My siblings were Country and Western entertainers as well as Blue Grass > Nashville and all !! I rebelled early ;D I appreciate all music > Now I just attend Kid Rock concerts LOL

OP
OP
T

TogaMario

Greenie
Jul 2, 2007
Hartsville, SC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AC/DC, Metallica, Guns and Roses, Led Zeppelin and the like are all mandatory for me, too. The newer stuff is a bit harder to swallow sometimes. It has to have a good blend of band and front man, I think. If the guys behind the front man are doing great, and the guy up front is just screaming his head off, I can hardly stand it ... unless it's done well, like Lamb of God. The hardest thing I listen to is As I Lay Dying.

On a softer note, I've been listening to Wolfmother (very very very good general rock), The Darkness (80's hair echoes for the 21st century), Karnivool (only know about them because of XM radio's "The Squizz"), and Daft Punk (... just cause there's something about a funky groove that I love).

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
Nobody mentioned Pantera. These guys are filled with talent. Some of the singing gets out of hand at times but the guy can really sing with some slower ballads on all their cds. I love 80's hairbands...Skid ROw, Warrant, Whitesnake, Poison(some), Cinderella, Great White, ect. Old Metallica, everything from the Black album back. Megadeth, Savatage, Maiden. Also old Tesla, old Bon Jovi, Scorpions.

iammetalcore

Aug 3, 2007
I love metal!!

From my username, iammetalcore, my favorite type is Metal-Core!

But my favorite band is American Head Charge. They are simply amazing!

SoulDancer

Oct 13, 2007
Gurnee, IL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
My likes are simple. Godsmack, Slipknot, Opeth, Atreyu, Disturbed, Korn, Drowning Pool, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Avenged Sevenfold, Behemoth...and more!

AirForce1 (Ret.)

Apr 9, 2007
La Luz, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I heard the the term "Heavy Metal" came from Steppinwolf's "Born to be wild" song (the line "heavy metal thunder" was the first time that was ever used)

I bought my first rock album in 1976 (KISS Destroyer) and haven't listened to anything but rock and heavy metal since. KISS, Judas Priest, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Slipknot, Biohazard, Marilyn Manson, and my favorite Pantera is what I am usually piss*** off my neighbors and wife with ;D

Even starting to get my kids to listen to it.makes a Dad proud lol

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i must admit that i dont like a lot of music made past 1980. Black Sabbath is my all time favorite band. without them, there would have been no others. with that said here are a few faves, motorhead,sacred reich,iron maiden, deep purple, dio, mastodon,kings x,early ozzy solo stuff,corrosion of conformity, monster magnet,accept,judas priest (up to the painkiller album), old sepultura,nuclear assault, dark angel,slayer, old ac/dc, overkill,tool,.i cant remember them all!

Ktorres80

Aug 29, 2007
Barstow,CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oldplacesnofinds said:
Nobody mentioned Pantera. These guys are filled with talent. Some of the singing gets out of hand at times but the guy can really sing with some slower ballads on all their cds. I love 80's hairbands...Skid ROw, Warrant, Whitesnake, Poison(some), Cinderella, Great White, ect. Old Metallica, everything from the Black album back. Megadeth, Savatage, Maiden. Also old Tesla, old Bon Jovi, Scorpions.

I was wondering when Pantera would come up.....They are a very talented group
I feel the lyrics and the music....

Ktorres80

Aug 29, 2007
Barstow,CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tapoutking said:
I play in a Metal band called Intentional Rage. My personal Favs are Rage Against the Machine, Tool and Zep when it comes to harder stuff. I also like alot of obscure bands.

I just saw Rage Against the Machine in August.....I waited years for them to get back together...let me tell you is was so freakin Bad ass.......All the bodies in the place moving togeher to the sound of Bulls on parade.....

Ktorres80

Aug 29, 2007
Barstow,CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tapoutking said:
Rage is one of my favorite bands. We may have been rubbin shoulders at the show ;)

Which show did you see?
I was at Glen Helen....San Bernardino Ca

Ktorres80

Aug 29, 2007
Barstow,CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tapoutking said:
Yup on the 11th. I was on the Warped Tour at the time and was playing at the Coors Amphitheatre in August so I got to go.

wow, thats cool...the last time I was at vans warped tour was in 2000 in anaheim...its was pretty cool....was pennywise on tour this year?
ya the 11th...It was one of my fave shows ever!!!!I really would have liked to get vip but I was happy with what I got!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread