GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
​I went to work this morning with the Deus for a few hours in hopes of another Spanish coin, but no such luck. :P

I found a few keepers. A couple weren't worth posting. One was a blank copper disk. :laughing7:

1825 Farthing

2014_10_10_16_12_59_1.jpg

1857 Hard Times Token. I couldn't find this variety online. The 1857's I found had a head on the obverse. Any info would be appreciated.

2014_10_10_13_40_16.jpg

2014_10_10_15_49_44_1.jpg

2014_10_10_15_49_57_1.jpg

A couple of silvers. 1920 5 cents and a 1968 50 % sailbot job.

2014_10_10_15_19_19_1.jpg

Happy hunting!

Upvote 14
Hey Geo, looks like you have a special token there, and it looks like it's in good shape too. Congrats.
ZDD

Banner find I think, at least in my book. Very cool!
Hard times token. Even Wikipedia needs an update, must be rare. Maybe I just love tokens more than coins?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

L44, HT69, a hard times token from the panic of 1837, depicting Andrew Jackson and a ship. Worth 30 to 150 dollars

A classic hard times token, sometimes referred to as a "not cent"

Hard-times tokens are large cent-sized copper tokens, struck from about 1833 through 1843, serving as unofficial currency. These privately made pieces, comprising merchant, political and satirical pieces, were used during a time of political and financial crisis in the United States.
Today, hard-times tokens are collectible and usually very affordable as coins or as political history.
Background[edit]

1837 "Not One Cent for Tribute" token (HT#293)
In 1832, President Andrew Jackson ran for re-election and called for the abolition of the Second Bank of the United States. While he won the election, he worked to weaken the bank before the charter expired in 1836. Without the Bank of the United States, state banks attempted to fill the paper money gap and issued a large number of bank notes, which fueled inflation. Hoping to halt the inflation and speculation in public lands, Jackson and his Treasury secretary, Levi Woodbury, issued the Specie Circular on July 11, 1836. The circular simply stated that as of August 15 1836, banks and others who received public money were required to accept only gold and silver coins in payment for public lands.
Instead of the intended results, the circular spelled the end of a time of economic prosperity. The circular set into motion a panic, and the public began hoarding specie. Without specie to pay out, banks and merchants began having financial troubles. It wasn't too long before the effects of Jackson's decision were felt across the nation as banks and businesses failed, and a depression ensued.
By this time, Jackson's vice president, Martin Van Buren, was the elected president in office. The period of economic hardship, the Panic of 1837, during Van Buren's presidency came to be known as the "Hard Times".

Nice hunt Giorgios!! I love them hard times tokens...That farthing?? You sure its not 1725?? Didn't know they made them into the 1800s. .But what do I know...
George

Nice hunt Giorgios!! I love them hard times tokens...That farthing?? You sure its not 1725?? Didn't know they made them into the 1800s. .But what do I know...
George

It is an 1825, for sure. George the IIII.

Euxapisto! ;)

Hey that's a great find Gio! I'm gonna do some research on that baby

Very cool find in great shape

image-2600640643.jpg

Nice going on digging up the coppers.

Good hunt GEO.

Nice condition on the HT token
Farthings seem rather rare to dig, of hundreds of coppers I got one farthing that is idable, I do have some "discs" that are the right size.
And 5 cent silvers are always welcome.

Good hunt GEO.

Nice condition on the HT token
Farthings seem rather rare to dig, of hundreds of coppers I got one farthing that is idable, I do have some "discs" that are the right size.
And 5 cent silvers are always welcome.

Thanks, Rick!

I thought I had some sort of crusty nickel at first. It's roughly the same size.... but then I clued in that it had to be copper, and I had a flashback to when Dan found one. haha, Ole Danny boy. We're going out Monday. First time in months. :)

Hard Times tokens are great finds. Lots of history to be found in each example.

Killer find bro! We gotta get out soon...they way you're going, you would definitely get the find of the day! I'd gladly take your sloppy seconds lol. Based on what you've been finding, even second or third best would still be awesome finds!

Haha, don't sell yourself short, Ace. You are Mr. 4 "8 reales". Legend!

Nice one, only ever got one myself…was nice to see under the coil I bet!

Nice one, only ever got one myself…was nice to see under the coil I bet!

I managed to get one too, says MAY 10th..., and is is not nearly as good condition as this one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back