Hard to find older Garrett machines....

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started detecting back in the early/mid 90's with a Garrett gta 1000 power master. I loved that machine. Found tons of nice things with it and it pin pointed like a dream. I ended up selling it to a pawn shop a few year later when I needed beer money. Dumb move.

I have been looking at classifieds on lots of different forums, ebay, and other sites to try to find another one or its bigger brother the GTAx 1250 and have had really no luck. What happened to all the Garretts? I see older Whites machines posted all the time. Lots of them.

Did they all go into detector limbo?

Any ideas?

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some people don't give up there Garrets...they don't cost a lot so there not a big investment lost. I heard.....there around you have to be in the right place at the right time. or people get up set with them, and rap them around a tree making them all most go extincted ...

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a Garrett Freedom 3 and a GTA 1000 back in the early 90's. They were fairly good machines and did make some decent finds with both, though they lacked the depth of Fisher of the time period. However, I soon discovered they didn't last long after the 2 year warranty expired. I took really good care of my units. Still uses my Fisher CZ5 which replaced them and only had 1 minor problem in 15 years and that was about 4 years ago. Don't think the lifespan of the older Garretts were very long. If they claim their quality is good then why do they only have a two year warranty unlike Tesoro which back up their machines with a lifetime warranty? Fisher back then also had a lifetime warranty but when they were bought out by First Texas the quality of their machines fell short.

Not knocking Garrett, but don't think I would ever go back to using one of their detectors. But in saying that, the AT Pro seems to be one of the most popular detectors on the market, despite some of the early shortcomings when first released. It seems that Garrett does not take the time to ensure there are any bugs before they release new machines. Some people love them, some hate them. A dealer told me he can't keep up with the demand for the AT Pro. Anyway, to each his own and hope you find the machine you are looking for.

Last edited:

chatmangreer

Mar 4, 2012
Greer, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Garrett Groundhog for years and had pretty good luck with it. Gave it to my brother when I got my AT Gold (still breaking it in).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions