Hardcore Whites Winter Relic Hunt

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Today was a balmy 20°F (roughly -7°C) and sunny with a steady light breeze — Psshhht! I’m going detecting!

winter-soybeans.jpg
Soybean field looking towards todays hunting site.

With jewelry detecting out of season today we’ve relic detecting on the menu. I chose a farmstead site I’ve been to three times prior with my super-duper-speedy-relic-hunting machine. This time the ground is frozen, so I don’t want to jack-around too much digging crap and I select appropriately from my stable. V3i w/5.3 Eclipse and running a slightly tweaked factory Relic preset to begin.

cellar_hole.jpg
The cellar hole depression as viewed from the driveway looking through the roundabout.

selfie1.jpg
Let's begin!

4 hours total time. Many targets were bagged as frozen clumps of dirt for home inspection — too cold to jack around attempting any field I.D. Another hazard, I only have so long before the neoprene gloves become wet and the hunt clock starts ticking down. Would have liked more photos but the gloves don’t work with a touch screen device, and they are difficult to get off when damp. That’s the breaks of hardcore winter weather detecting I guess.

coffee-break.jpg
Coffee break photo.

colocated-targets.jpg
Items found working behind different European flagship brand. (4[SUP]th[/SUP] pass through - Oh mon Dieu!)

The V3i has no problem picking up co-located targets. Average target depth dug was maybe 5”.

6” is about the max I can realistically dig with the Rapid Digger pick and a screwdriver. Frost was observed at 6” and likely greater in many places making digging very time consuming and difficult. Average target recovery time increased significantly to somewhere around 5 minutes or longer each. I have to be selective from here on out as the gloves are beginning to become damp.

Getting-it-done.jpg
Go hardcore or go home!

To cherry pick a bit I switched to a best data variation of my jewelry program settings and picked up the swing speed along with my pace as I covered new ground. Taking advantage of the equipment I chose today I decided to also hit an area behind the house with hundreds of tighly grouped baby saplings. This area I wanted to detect before but the machine I’ve always used here doesn’t have any coil that is capable of doing so. The Eclipse coil, being closed and small, was the ideal coil for this area. Any coil larger or open would be impossible to very difficult as there wasn’t much swinging going on. …more like pushing and pulling forwards and backwards — love these concentric coils!

deft-tones-approved.jpg
Deft Tones approved!

more-finds1.jpg

more-finds2.jpg

So back towards the truck hitting the open areas skirting the tree line picking up all manner of various items I dug the bell-looking thing and saw the top of the bottle! That prompted a wasted 15 minutes carefully chipping frozen soil from around the glass… and it was discovered to be already broken! Arghghghgh! That’s the breaks of hardcore winter detecting I guess.

side-yard-and-pasture.jpg
The side yard and pasture looking past an outbuilding location.

My favorite finds from this hunt is the aluminum token with six point star and the Merry Widows condom tin.

Turning lemons into lemonade I also spent time “snow sweeping” for my own personal swing sweep perfection. I highly recommend if you have powder snow to try it for self technique critique. Sand works ok, but powder snow can’t be beat.

(I tried to get photos but they are all blown out from the sun on snow and lack all contrast, sorry.)

Just sweep your coil barely disturbing the snow surface. Begin sweeping and re-grading the top ¼” of snow while trying to maintain a completely level “grade”.

As you alter the snow surface you will be able to see subtle variations in your technique and what needs correction. Try to create a flat surface with no ridges on the overlaps for the entire sweep series and maintain this while advancing. It’s not easy at first, but it’s fun to see how “good you are”… practice makes perfect!

Tomorrow is more of the same weather so I’ll happily be out again going hard. Perhaps I can take time from detecting to pick up another pair of gloves and extend my field time....nahhh!

Anyway, thanks for looking and enjoy your hunts.

:skullflag: Go Hawks! :skullflag:

Upvote 10

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your a lot like me I go out all times of the year I go to the woods a lot the ground isn't frozen the leaves keep it warm lots of cool finds whats up with harmonica reeds If that's what it is I find those every where Thanks for the great post I love to read em Keep it up the treasure is there Tommy

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
stinkin millenial

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That's pretty hard core! 4 hours in Arctic conditions? I wouldn't have lasted. We can't say you didn't try!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the only good thing to come from iowa is dallas clark

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
the only good thing to come from iowa is dallas clark

The name was ringing bells, but I admit to googling. You may be right! :tongue3:

I'm a big wrestling fan and so from my perspective I know that's not true! :laughing7:

We're probably used to feeling like an entitled millennial after having had Coach Gable.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dedicated or fanatic, it's a thin line. :dontknow: I dress in many layers when it's bitter cold, but once the ground freezes I chill at the house now and use the down time to catch up on the honey do's, review and clean finds from the season, do research for other area to hunt. I am getting ready to ship my F75 back to Fisher for a tune up. My battery gauge is not working properly (shows full power all the time until the batteries die), the depth numbers are always off by 2" and I want them to tighten up the battery housing.

Last edited:

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is hardcore. I thought I'd be able to get out last week with three nice days and all the snow gone but I put it off too long and now we have a ton of snow. Might have to hit a sledding hill or something. Good job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread