Hardstone Monitor Pipe

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I work a lot of hardstone and make copies of artifacts. Both N American and European. Some of my favorites are the stone pipes. The Indians made many style of pipes. I really like the monitor style. Named after the civil war gun ships that looked similar. These were mainly made on the east coast from about 1200-1700s, VA especially, and usually made from black steatite. I use the same design except I use hardstone…igneous rocks much harder than steatite. This one is basalt porphyry. A glacial rock brought down from Canada. The pics show the steps to making one.
IMG_5032.jpeg
IMG_5041.jpeg
IMG_5066.jpeg
IMG_5076.jpeg
IMG_5086.jpeg
IMG_5095.jpeg
IMG_5119.jpeg
IMG_5157.jpeg
IMG_5186.jpeg

Athens

Apr 27, 2024
I work a lot of hardstone and make copies of artifacts. Both N American and European. Some of my favorites are the stone pipes. The Indians made many style of pipes. I really like the monitor style. Named after the civil war gun ships that looked similar. These were mainly made on the east coast from about 1200-1700s, VA especially, and usually made from black steatite. I use the same design except I use hardstone…igneous rocks much harder than steatite. This one is basalt porphyry. A glacial rock brought down from Canada. The pics show the steps to making one. View attachment 2149279 View attachment 2149280 View attachment 2149281 View attachment 2149282 View attachment 2149283 View attachment 2149284 View attachment 2149285 View attachment 2149286 View attachment 2149287
Wow that is beautiful, Very talented my friend.I would love to add one to my collection.I see you are really enjoying your New saw . Sweet

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you use to drill and polish them
Masonry bit for smoke holes. Felker diamond wheel for cutting outline and shaping. Diamond burs on Dremel for further shaping. Hand polishing with sharpening stones and 320 wet sanding, then diamond paste polish on felt wheels on Dremel.

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Came out beautiful
I’ve always wondered why the indians never used granite for axes or celts. Or for fancy stuff like banners and pipes. Besides being very hard to work, granite is made up of quartz, mica , and feldspar. The mica is the black crystals you see in granite. I discovered they suck. Soft and crumbly. Don’t polish bright. Since softer, polished surface gets orange peel. If mica grains were on bit edge of Celt or axe, they would crumble with use and leave a nicked edge that would get worse. This red granite is pretty but the Indians knew better. Why work harder to get less? Now that I’ve made 2 pipes from it, I know too. Experimental archaeology has taught me many things you won’t find in books.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I’ve always wondered why the indians never used granite for axes or celts. Or for fancy stuff like banners and pipes. Besides being very hard to work, granite is made up of quartz, mica , and feldspar. The mica is the black crystals you see in granite. I discovered they suck. Soft and crumbly. Don’t polish bright. Since softer, polished surface gets orange peel. If mica grains were on bit edge of Celt or axe, they would crumble with use and leave a nicked edge that would get worse. This red granite is pretty but the Indians knew better. Why work harder to get less? Now that I’ve made 2 pipes from it, I know too. Experimental archaeology has taught me many things you won’t find in books.
I’d like to have one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread