Hardstone Thursday

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Someone sent me a pm wanting to do a hard stone post a couple of months ago. WVA 1978 I believe was their name. Completely slipped my mind. So here you go let’s see your biggest stone piece. Mine is this super sized Bell/Hoof Pestle. I’m guessing it weighs around 15 lbs and sits 8 inches tall and 4 inches across the base. One side is smooth from it being used like a roller pestle and the base is rough from pounding. Makes me wonder how many generations used this. This style is from Late Archaic to Early Woodland period in my area. Post your biggest
NW Georgia PF

Attachments

• IMG_4052.jpeg
    IMG_4052.jpeg
    313.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4053.jpeg
    IMG_4053.jpeg
    409.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4051.jpeg
    IMG_4051.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4050.jpeg
    IMG_4050.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 32
Upvote 4

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are all personal finds from Shelby Co except for the dark one. The two cylindrical shaped ones in the center were found laying next to each other on the river bank.
IMG_5243.jpeg

This dark one is made from jade and was a gift from a friend who was stationed in Honduras. He found a lot of artifacts down there but that’s another story.
IMG_5244.jpeg

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
These are all personal finds from Shelby Co except for the dark one. The two cylindrical shaped ones in the center were found laying next to each other on the river bank. View attachment 2149477

This dark one is made from jade and was a gift from a friend who was stationed in Honduras. He found a lot of artifacts down there but that’s another story. View attachment 2149478
So I’m guessing Jade is heavy like granite? That’s a beauty of a Celt. Maybe one day I will have more Hard Stone but for right now only a couple of nice pieces. Good share

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I’m guessing Jade is heavy like granite? That’s a beauty of a Celt. Maybe one day I will have more Hard Stone but for right now only a couple of nice pieces. Good share
Jade is an incredibly tough metamorphic rock. It’s found in Canada and Central America but doesn’t outcrop anywhere in the lower 48 that I know of. It was a big deal for the natives in Central America but not here. That’s a shame because they made some really nice stuff from it down there.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jade is an incredibly tough metamorphic rock. It’s found in Canada and Central America but doesn’t outcrop anywhere in the lower 48 that I know of. It was a big deal for the natives in Central America but not here. That’s a shame because they made some really nice stuff from it down there.
We have something similar to Jade in Northern California called “Californite”. Not sure if there have been any celts or hard stone tools found here made from Californite.

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Unfortunately if you were to post anything other than a point on FB nobody would know what it was. I see I got 2 likes so maybe it’s the same here idk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread