Harnessing Your Hunting

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a certain amount of advantage to swinging a larger coil, the most notable being coverage area and increased depth. I swing the larger coils quite a bit when hunting over the wet sand, and at times when the conditions are right, I even use these larger coils in the water. No doubting these larger coils have increased my overall production quite a bit.

However, the obvious down side to swinging these larger coils is the additional weight and drag at the end of the detector shaft, a condition that can quickly bring about hunter fatigue. But there is a way to counter this condition by using a harness. In fact, after finally using a harness I can't image going back to swinging these larger coils without one. The harness allows me to swing these larger coils all day long without any additional fatigue.

A harness can be purchased commercially or you can simply make one yourself, which is what I did. All that is required is a simple chest/shoulder harness, a stainless “I” bolt and wing nut, and a length of bungee cord with hooks at each end. The actual chest/shoulder harness can come from just about anywhere, I've found them at the local Goodwill stores and even found some that were originally part of day-packs, back-packs, baby-packs, camel packs, etc. Nearly all of them will work and I especially like the idea of having the added storage capabilities that some of these packs can offer me when hunting long hours or far from the vehicle.

Once you've located a suitable chest harness it's just a simple matter of finding a lineman's clip (something you can get at any hardware store), a bungee cord that would allows you to tie knots in it until you achieved the desired tension. The stainless I-bolt just requires the drilling of a single clearance hole in the detector shaft about 8” below the handle. The parts for these harnesses are super easy to find and the cost, time, and labor required to install them is very minimal. The assembly is way too easy. Once you have your chest harness on simply attach the lineman's clip to the harness then one end of the bungee cord to the lineman's clip and the other end to the I-bolt you installed in the detector shaft. Like I said, I have a few different harness assemblies for different occasions depending on when and where I might be hunting.

There is no arguing that swinging a larger coil offers the hunter more coverage area and depth, two huge advantages when hunting over fairly flat terrains and those deep sands of summer. Most of today's larger coils are also sensitive enough to detect even the smallest items at impressive depths so there's virtually no lose in performance when switching to the larger coil in these milder conditions. Basically these larger coils allow you to cover twice as much beach with the added advantage of increased depth, these being two huge factors that can really add to your pouch at the end of the day.

In recent weeks I've even been using the harness with the small coils while hunting. I guess using a harness has completely spoiled me and it's no wonder once you get use to using one. Once you get them adjusted right it's like having an extra arm. Just passing this information along for those of you who want to make your own hunting efforts easier, longer, and more enjoyable. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread