Mar 25, 2013
Jenison, Mi
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Harper's Ferry, West Virginia Trip

Hi All,

I am fairly new to metal detecting, and am looking for any information that can make a 3 day trip to Harper's Ferry successful and enjoyable. Here's a little information on the upcoming trip. First of all, I have known for a few weeks that my gf wanted to visit West Va to see the land that her grandfather owned (her parents are the current owners). What I did not know was that the land was very near Harper's Ferry. I have a degree in History (Teaching), so when I found out where we were going I was definitely excited. The land is near the junction of WV 9 and Hostler Rd in Jefferson county. I think they own roughly 80 acres. Unfortunately, a handful of years back the government made them sell some of their land for use in a road building/expansion project. Prior to that, her family owned about twice as much land and it butted up against the Shenandoah River.
Anyway, I will be taking my 15 yr old son and he's excited about metal detecting there too. My goal is to make this a fun trip for him by finding some old/interesting finds, and leaving the land as undisturbed as possible. I have done some lite research via the internet, but I figured that asking for information on Tnet would be a smart move. For instance, I have no idea if there are parks or public places in the area that are open to metal detecting. Normally I would assume as much; however, I live in an area of Michigan where you are not going to be accidentally digging historically significant artifacts.
Sorry for the long post...any insight or local information would be truly appreciated.
Thanks and HH!

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: West Virginia for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.)...

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great opportunity,hope you have success in getting permission to hunt there.

OP
OP
J

Jb Waterman

Greenie
Mar 25, 2013
Jenison, Mi
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks...At least I know I will have my gf's family land to hunt. I'm guessing 80 wooded acres will be more than enough to keep us busy. It is exciting though...just thinking about the possibilities. And heck, I used to have family in West Virginia too, and I always loved the pictures they sent us...beautiful country!

OP
OP
J

Jb Waterman

Greenie
Mar 25, 2013
Jenison, Mi
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Btw, I have been in the mountains of Tennessee and you guys have some awesome scenery too! It's mostly flat in Michigan, so I really appreciate anytime I am allowed to spend in the mountains.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread