HARRY POTTER (May Contain Spoilers)

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Re: HARRY POTTER

Finished my copy a little earlier. Thought the writing in the first 100-150 pages was a bit weak for Rowling. Seemed a bit imprecise and wandering. Picked up well in the end though. I really like how Rowling plays with Harry's mind (and indirectly, that of the reader.) No real surprises...though I was upset by one death... >:(

grizzlybare

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had a .pdf of the book two weeks ago from a source in England. I just loved that all the spoilers out there were wrong. It is a possibility though, that Rowling rewrote the end of the book after that Italian Hacker posted the big spoiler.

Hey GB,

I think I know the one you're talking about. I never would have guessed F. Is that the one?

Best,

Mike

Attachments

• HPDH1.jpg
    HPDH1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 355

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

I had to work yesterday, and coming home there was NO traffic. I mean it was like Thanksgiving day, there was so little traffic! That just isn't normal on a Saturday here.

All we can figure is that everyone was home, reading like mad. And still are - we aren't hearing any road noise today, either. wild.

I'm at Chapter 5, hubby has it right now (I'm leaving him alone so he'll read faster! )

Can't wait to get back at it

Nan
gollum! How the heck did you get a pdf?! I'm so jealous! :D

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Someone in England brought the book home, and as you can see, went through page by page and took pics. Some of them are a little out of focus, but everything was readable. ;D ;D ;D

I heard that the UK and the US versions are a little different.

Best,

Mike

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used

gollum,
Yeah. That just didn't make any sense. Why kill off a great character when it doesn't add to the story or build on past foreshadowing? Anyway, I'm no great Potter scholar so maybe I didn't see something in an earlier book.
Personally, I think Rowling should write another book and call it Harry Potter and the Re-Built Hogwarts. Do a seventh year now that all this crap is out of the way.
I saw an interview she did and when the lady asked her if there was any possibility of another book, she hesitated and said ,"Well, anything's possible."

grizzly bare

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

grizzly bare said:
gollum,
Yeah. That just didn't make any sense. Why kill off a great character when it doesn't add to the story or build on past foreshadowing? Anyway, I'm no great Potter scholar so maybe I didn't see something in an earlier book.
Personally, I think Rowling should write another book and call it Harry Potter and the Re-Built Hogwarts. Do a seventh year now that all this crap is out of the way.
I saw an interview she did and when the lady asked her if there was any possibility of another book, she hesitated and said ,"Well, anything's possible."

grizzly bare

Did I just read something I should not have? Did you give something away? :-\ I have not read it yet...

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

My children and I love these books.... what a wonderful journey of imagination Rowlings has given us. I hope they continue ,Harry has grandchildren and my children share them with theirs. :)

Leeame

Feb 8, 2007
Grants Pass OR
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i

[/quote]

Did I just read something I should not have? Did you give something away? :-\ I have not read it yet...
[/quote]

No, you are still good. Book is great! Better than Order of the Phoenix, which was my favorite till yesterday!

tootles
Lisa
So Oregon

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree. No spoilers here yet. There are a BUNCH of people you wouldn't expect to get killed off.

Best,

Mike

OP
OP
coolcash2004

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Just finished it.

I would give it a 10/10. Best book I have ever read.

Yes: PLEASE, no spoilers on this post! In fact, no discussion of any kind about who dies/ doesnt for a while. Ratings are fine, but please no specifics. Thanks!

-CC

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used

I don't believe there have been any spoilers YET...but I was confused when Dick Cheney showed up with a shotgun, but I totally saw that Martha Stewart frying pan thing coming long ago! And using an Explorer SE to find the missing ring was brilliant.

grizzly bare

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

finished it this afternoon 8)

HH
-GC

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

grizzly bare said:
I don't believe there have been any spoilers YET...but I was confused when Dick Cheney showed up with a shotgun, but I totally saw that Martha Stewart frying pan thing coming long ago! And using an Explorer SE to find the missing ring was brilliant.

grizzly bare

:D :D :D

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

grizzly bare said:

grizzly bare

Yes and the Frodo cameo was very nicely done!

Mike

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!

The ending of this book left me in a funk. It is the only one that has left me feeling a little sad. I think partly it was because after each book I was able to share with Harry the thoughts of the NEXT book. Yet, when this one ended, we all knew it was over, and there were no more. No more adventures. So, that left me saddened. But, more than that, the WAY it ended, in the last chapter (And no I won't put any spoilers here) make me think about what it talked about, and that, coupled with what I've written here made me feel even sadder.

There were a lot of things that happened that if you reflect on them, and how they affected the future of all the characters in the books (Again - trying to not say WHAT those things were) just ... made me feel a little depressed.

I won't say more, because then I'd have to say something that will give something away. In a few weeks we can discuss it more. :-) For those that haven't read or finished it yet, keep going. Like all the other books, it was long but worth the reading. :-)

John

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used

jrf30,
Did the ending seem a little too generic for you? I totally went away feeling that I had read that before, that it wasn't a "Harry Potter" ending. I saw no need for the anger/dislike shown toward one character.
Of course, Harry's favorite dessert is treacle tart so treacle definitely fits in the end.

grizzly bare

OP
OP
coolcash2004

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Hmmm. If you ask me, the ending was perfect, it couldnt have ended any other way.

However, I do beleive it was kind of abrupt. After the big finale, it kind of just ended.

I do believe that the epilogue helped smooth things down a bit.

SPOILERS OK NOW! THANKS!

-CC

OP
OP
coolcash2004

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
THANKS MJ!!!

My response too, has been voided. Enjoy the book!

-CC

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
All the talk about the book for the past 6 months was saying that two of the main characters would be killed off in this book. (And depdning on who you call main and not, I counted more than two!) Rowling has said that herself. So, saying that deaths occurred is not a spoiler. Saying who or how would be a spoiler, but no one has yet. :-)

The epilogue is the area that DID put me in the funk. Coolcash, I'll email you with my reasons. See what you think.

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread