Has any one really wanted to get into a special college and...

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has any one really wanted to get into a special college and got put on the wait list?

My daughter is a high school senior and applied at only two colleges. Her GPA is around 4.1 and a very high SAT. She wants to get into animal sciences and only two colleges offer that major. Both are in the Cal Poly system. The one that is 200 miles away put her on the wait list. (38,000 applicants and only 4800 openings) She is heart broken and wants to appeal. She has had her heart set on this school for a few years.

The other Cal Poly U is 15 miles away and has accepted her into the same program.

Does any one have any experience with college admissions or any strategies to get bumped up on the list. Maybe an appeals letter to admissions?

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Hi Cyberdan;
I'm a high school guidance counselor. Last year we saw more kids coming off the wait list than normal. Kids today apply to 10 or more schools so obviously they have to then rescind acceptances at 9 of them. If she did not do an interview I think maybe she can request one. I'm guessing that if she waits long enough it just might come through for her....maybe late summer mind you.
Debby

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
I've always wanted to go to Vassar. I'm still waiting for their reply.

S

stefen

Cyberdan,

There are 2 agricultural polytechnic Universities in the California system; California State Polytechnic University (Cal-Poly) San Luis Obispo and California State Polytechnic University (Cal-Poly) Pomona (Kellogg Campus) and there is also a 3rd Ag school which is a division of the University at Davis.

I am a graduate of (and have taught at) Cal-Poly, affectionately known as 'Cow-Plop', so I am speaking from being experienced with the system.

Generally speaking, when a program is impacted, it's vertially impossible to gain entry. However, if your daughter can enroll in any other department as a General Ed major (undeclared) at Cal-Poly Pomona, then she can transfer internally to the Ag department...she also can take Ag classes as electives while being in another department.

See, the trick is to be enrolled first...and an already enrolled students can petition for transfers :thumbsup:

Personally, I would walk into the admissions office and go head-to-head in lieu of writing letters. When I first tried to transfer units to Cal-Poly I was getting the runaround and they were not going to accept or transfer many of my earned credits. I walked into the Dean's office and spoke with the man himself...got everything transferred :wink:

That's what is called the squeeky wheel approach.

Now, if you have the bucks, Texas A & M is a possibility...and there are numerous other Ag schools throughout the states...might also look at Ohio State...

Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread