Has anybody here started a local history museum for the relics, etc. that you have?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Over the past 40+ years or so, I have amassed quite a collection of relics, most from local/semi local sites, but I have no place to share them with people. Hence, they sit in boxes in my garage and attic ..out of sight..out of mind. But, it seems such a waste to me.
I have been seriously considering starting a small museum or teaming up with somebody who wants to do a coffee bar/museum adventure. Has anybody here ever done such a thing? What are your thoughts on the idea?

I forgot to mention there are no museums in my area, but the area is growing in leaps and bounds.

Last edited:

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had the thought, but not seriously. Considering the things I've collected and some of the stories that go with them.

I actually think that I'm the only one around that knows some of thesenlocations and stories, but honestly, i don't think many other people care.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree on each of our relic collections disposition, where do we stick them...?
Our kids' inheritance...? My coins and jewelry are going to my grandkids.
Museum; Colleges; Historical Societies; other Coillectors
and Scientists that specialize in the materials of the past + technologies.

Each relic has a story....

Me? I'm a Coin Shooter, who occasionally acquire a relic of our past, keep it in
my garage, and the best is on one bookshelf, for display, in the house....

Yes, you can get money, but most of our finds, aren't worth trying to sell...!!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel for you. I have lots of boxes stowed away and a couple showcases. I’ve thought about organizing the finds in some kind of historical museum display approach and approaching the local historical society. They don’t have a formal location, just the lobby of the township office/police department. I am super enthusiastic about a large Cent or crotal bell found in town, just don’t think many other people are equally as interested. I recently did a presentation at my daughters 4th grade class (her teacher is a CW buff) and it was super fun and the kids were very engaged. I gave each kiddo an IHP and a local token. I wish there was a way to pass the history and excitement back to my local community.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Since trade tokens were mentioned, I would encourage everyone to document the existence of each variety on TokenCatalog.com - if you have one that is not already pictured on the site, please take pics of it and post it to the site. There are thousands of varieties of US trade tokens, many more than there are of US coins, and the study of them is really just in its infancy. Before donating a piece to a museum (where it may or may not be shown and where they seldom have personnel to photograph and post tokens), or putting it into some sort of display where it will be difficult to get out and photograph, please take pics, measurements, etc. and post it on the site.

John in the Great 208

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say it depends, #1, on what kind of relics you have. What thrills us as collectors, detectorists, diggers, does not thrill the general population. Your stuff would have to be really fantastic, with a story. You are competing with the smart phone, rapid fire games and colorful psyco-engineered graphics, facebook, twitter, and all handheld else that has destroyed the minds, and seized the attention of today's living. I don't have a smart phone anymore by the way.

I have three historical museums here in town. When you go in, you are the only one there, the displays are interesting, but not terribly, the write-ups are inaccurate, and I don't feel the need to go back. And I'm kind of a history nerd.

I'd say, if you want fulfillment, organize a traveling production of your stuff, make displays at local libraries, public buildings, do the grade schools, and senior centers. Good luck.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A local city about 10 miles from where I live has an excellent Museum. Some of my finds are actually displayed in this museum. I don't know that I have enough interesting finds to start my own museum, so my museum is my Dining Room and finished basement. I do like to display my finds, and have over 30 display cases (large and small) for friends and family to enjoy when they visit. I do think you have an excellent idea, and wish you the best of luck if you go thru with the idea. A lot of people enjoy seeing the "past" on display.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a nice display for 3 yrs at the Cape Cod maritime museum - All kinds of finds from the waters around there - coins, jewelry, bottles, other personal items lost - jackknives, pocketwatches etc
plus ship wreck stuff and old fishing stuff - I put it on loan and it went over big for a while - then someone died and left a huge collection of 100+ yr old art work and ship models and
that had to take my stuff out.
I might have a historical society museum that has maritime history that may want to display lot of it
and have another museum that has shown interest in other land finds
historical societies and museums will some times be happy to take - broken clay pipe pieces pottery shards and plain flat buttons and musket balls and other colonial bits and pieces that
may not have monetary value but great historical value - even some schools might not mind a display - or donate to a college that has a archeological dept. - if you
have stuff of a local area/town nature - your town hall may have a spot for a small case for you to display

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Casper! :occasion14: Those are some beautiful displays.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks very much everybody for your great ideas and thoughts. I appreciate you all! :notworthy:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
What about creating an online museum with quality photos, video and history. Probably get more younger people interested who have to do it all online anyway. Good luck!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about creating an online museum with quality photos, video and history. Probably get more younger people interested who have to do it all online anyway. Good luck!
might be something to propose to those that run the t-net

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions