Has anyone attempted a set of wood grain cents?

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen many, but never kept any (other than a wheat here and there). I like the idea of filling a set.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe I have ever heard of wood grain cents - could you put up some pics ?

Sorry to step in on OP, but . . .
Here is a description I found at MORE ON WOODGRAIN COIN SURFACES :

Examples having just light toning often display a pattern of tan or light brown streaks across obverse and reverse, the so-called �woodgrain� pattern. This resulted from impurities in the alloy or concentrations of pure copper that did not properly blend with the 5% tin and zinc added to it. When these less than perfect ingots were rolled into strip, from which blanks would later be punched, the concentrations were flattened and stretched into the patterns seen on the finished coins. Invisible when first struck, these flaws appeared only after the coin was exposed to atmospheric agents that caused the copper concentrations to tone more quickly than the properly mixed portions of the planchet.

Woodgrain toning is commonly seen on �S� Mint cents through 1923-24, after which time it is encountered only occasionally.

And, an image I captured from a youtube video.
woodgrain penny.jpg

OP
OP
S

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe I have ever heard of wood grain cents - could you put up some pics ?
I turned mine loose but they have dark streaks running parallel like a piece of oak might have. I understand it is caused by the alloys not being mixed correctly. I always have issues getting my old phone to take pictures that show enough detail but you can find pictures if you google it.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm, intresting....I've never seen or heard of a wood grain cent, pretty cool, learned something new today. HH, Maverick

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't find them in circulation much, but I did find a beautiful 1910 wood grain wheat cent metal detecting a few months ago. There was barely any ground wear on that sucker. It's gotta be one of my best coin finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread