Has anyone changed from the factory S shaft to a Straight shaft?

WVCOINHUNTER

Jan 19, 2012
Vienna, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, XP MI6, Garrett Pro Pointer, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Garrett AT Pro, and love it! Recently I was noticing some people going to a straight shaft such as the Anderson Shafts, and wondered do they really help with arm and shoulder fatigue? I've had hand, wrist and shoulder surgury, and sometimes the bigger coils will cause some fatigue and pain in the shoulder on long hunts, and have heard that these straight shafts help to eliminate that! Would appreciate any advice or experiences!!
:hello:

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Straight shafts are far better balanced than s shafts, they relieve the stress off your fore arm and make it a lot easier to hunt. I have been using them for 7 years now, made my own. Since they are longer than the original s shaft also able to cover more surface with each sweep.....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Straight shafts are far better balanced than s shafts, they relieve the stress off your fore arm and make it a lot easier to hunt. I have been using them for 7 years now, made my own. Since they are longer than the original s shaft also able to cover more surface with each sweep..... American by birth, Patriot by choice. I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

If you make the shaft longer it's going to increase the load on your arm with the same coil, it's pure physics. You increase the distance your increasing the amount of work it will take to lift it.
I will agree you can swing in a bigger arch but unless you decreased the weight of the shaft by a large amount the distance is going to get you on the amount of force it takes to lift it. You can change the angle of the grip with a s-shaft/straight shaft change and it may feel more comfortable but the load it what it is.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it doesnt, it is balanced, I have been using straight shafts for over 7 years now...

Have hunted for hours multiple times with it when I forgot my harness........

Ask anyone who has a straight shaft if they would ever consider going back to s shaft...

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:
OP
OP
WVCOINHUNTER

WVCOINHUNTER

Jan 19, 2012
Vienna, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, XP MI6, Garrett Pro Pointer, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate all of your responses! Since I made the post I have been using my Anderson carbon fibre straight shaft and love it! It has made a big difference in the comfort and how long I can hunt! I have had shoulder, wrist, and hand surgery and can definitely tell the difference! For me the difference wasn't as much total weight balance as the balance of the control box and less stress on the forearm! So thanks for your replies, and hope this helps someone else! I love this hobby!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate all of your responses! Since I made the post I have been using my Anderson carbon fibre straight shaft and love it! It has made a big difference in the comfort and how long I can hunt! I have had shoulder, wrist, and hand surgery and can definitely tell the difference! For me the difference wasn't as much total weight balance as the balance of the control box and less stress on the forearm! So thanks for your replies, and hope this helps someone else! I love this hobby!!!

You nailed it....

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your only changing the balance if you move the control box further back from the handle your swinging it with. The straight shaft is not what's doing the magic. Your creating balance by moving the lever. Pick up a ten foot iron pipe by the end and hold it straight out in front of you, now pick it up in the middle and try it, or anywhere else for that matter and it is easier with less strain. You can put a triple S bend in a shaft and it will make no difference. It's all about the balance point.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your only changing the balance if you move the control box further back from the handle your swinging it with. The straight shaft is not what's doing the magic. Your creating balance by moving the lever. Pick up a ten foot iron pipe by the end and hold it straight out in front of you, now pick it up in the middle and try it, or anywhere else for that matter and it is easier with less strain. You can put a triple S bend in a shaft and it will make no difference. It's all about the balance point.

Rob that is exactly what we do.. Mine has the remote pp mod as well.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rob that is exactly what we do.. Mine has the remote pp mod as well. American by birth, Patriot by choice. I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Got it! I have actually experimented by adding a small amount of weight to the end of my arm cuff. It's crazy to think that adding weight would make it more comfortable to swing but when you get the balance point correct it's an amazing difference. I can clearly see that moving the control box back would make a huge difference. Doesn't make much sense why the manufactures haven't figured out something so simple. Thanks!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites has there electronics under the arm cuff,fisher f75's & t2's have there batteries & switches under arm cuffs

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got it! I have actually experimented by adding a small amount of weight to the end of my arm cuff. It's crazy to think that adding weight would make it more comfortable to swing but when you get the balance point correct it's an amazing difference. I can clearly see that moving the control box back would make a huge difference. Doesn't make much sense why the manufactures haven't figured out something so simple. Thanks!

Leverage.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
science_large_grande.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread