Has anyone else been harassed while they were metaling detecting?

Dec 2, 2012
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
ACE 350 , Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I was out detecting a local ballfield/park I figured it would be a good place because its kind of secluded and basicly not used in the winter months, I was ther for about a half hour and an older gentleman came up to me and asked me how I was doing and if I found anything, I told him no not yet and we proceeded to talk for a good 20 mins about how he was a coin collector,His service at the park and just life in general, He wished me luck and was on his way, Shortly after a car with blacked out windows pulled in the parking lot and parked off in the corner I continued to swing my detector enjoying the day, About 15 mins later the car backs up and a kid probably 18-26? Started yelling out the window at me "Hey look its a penny" and started throwing change out the window..I shrugged it off as some moron and figured it was over, well he came back and parked up on the street and was yellling down at me for a few minutes until I decided I better get out of there because I didnt know what he was capable of, So I walked slowly to my car and packed everything up in my trunk and sat in the car with the heat on to warm up hoping he would leave because there was only one way out of the park and he was pretty close to it and I was affraid he was going to block it..He left shortly after I got in my car so I go out of there and made sure nobody was following me....Never would I thought that I would get harassed while enjoying a "new" Hobby ( I have only been detecting a little over a month) Have any of you guys had similar experiences?? Is there anyone out there in the state of Connecticut? If so have you had anything like this happen to you?

Upvote 0

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happens to me all the time!!!!! Usually like teens like 5-7 years older than me come up and try to get under my skin and be jerks, i just pretend i cant hear them (i have earphones in usually). Eventually they get bored and go away. It is a great feeling when people who are actually interested about what you are doing come up to you. I once had an older man get down on his knees and help me a dig a target! Best feeling ever!

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Harrased daily by stupid questions! What are you looking for? Are you fishing or something? SERIOUSLY PEOPLE?! this looks nothing like a fishing pole!!!! Do you ever find anything? ....ah no because people keep asking me if I have and I can't search! LOL!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got razzed out at the beach once by some teens trying to impress their girlfriends. I let it go with a smile till one of the boys tried to grab my machine. I am a fairly big guy with a hard head, and I grabbed his hand and slid his elbow up next to his ear while telling him my machine was worth more than his car and he needed to move on down the beach.

Unfortunately, I scared the bajeezus out of the little girls in the process - and myself, as I thought about it when I got home. Had it escalated, I may have
gone to jail, and a 17-year-old kid could have been seriously hurt.

The bottom line is this, if you feel threatened take out your cell phone and call 911 immediately. Nothing good can come from a physical confrontation, and when the kids see you in the act of calling for help, they usually take off. I also made this shirt up for myself, and I am NEVER bothered by anyone when I wear it.. :laughing7:

That is awesome.....I love it!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might try picking one up and get all excited and say "holy crap a (fill in the blank year/denomination)" and say "hey thanks these are worth about $50 in crap condition but this ones really nice. Thanks again!"

hahaha..Lately Ive been trying to be as loud as possible when I'm detecting, it usally makes them walk away

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You have the right to defend yourself and your property and I wouldn't hesitate for one second if someone grabbed me or my machine. A unexpected punch to the throat will stop everything in the blink of an eye. Last resort of course.

Metalman1959

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
Bowling Green, KY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had kids come over to where I was detecting and it was an opportunity for me to advance our hobby. I even let them dig up some of my hits and gave them whatever they found. Unfortunately most of those finds were quarters!
I was metal detecting in one school play ground when some little blonde tart asked me, in a rude way what I was doing. I explained that I was metal detecting (I wanted to say so badly "Ma'am I'm looking for a body!" but I didn't) She says she didn't think I should be doing it. I let her know real quick that I have been doing this for a long time and was perfectly within my right to detect there. Then she thought I shouldn't be digging up the mulch. I informed her that there will be no holes and asked her to look and see if she saw any. Of course she didn't. So I guess since I had her she told me that smoking was not allowed at "x" school. I put out my smoke and proceeded to swing.
I purposely went late because I knew there would be no children at the school and being a combat vet I believe I have the right to smoke. I didn't see what her issue was anyway. There were no children and it would have been different had there been. I don't smoke around kids because I certainly do not want to promote the habit. Anyway she was rude and did not understand what it was exactly I was doing. Hope she didn't think I was there to do something to the children! I already have adult kids myself along with 3 beautiful little grand babie, in fact my 7 year old grandsom LOVES to detect with me (and no I do not smoke around him.) We have a ton of fun and I usually give him what I find, depending on how much he helps his Pepaw. (I still let him have all of it anyway.)
Real quick... A cute but very funny story...
The first time I took him we found some kids jewlery and about $2.50 in various coins. He went and told all his friends that he was rich and found $1500.00! The trinkets we found he placed them in a plastic zip lock baggie and gave them to Grandma! I still have the bag with a note on the story. I LOVE being a Pepaw!!!!

Happy hunting and if you happen to get a few kids watching what you're doing take the time to educate them! You'll feel good and the kids will be excited!

OP
OP
E
Dec 2, 2012
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metalman thanks for sharing your story, I think its great you are teaching your grandson how to detect, I have had a kid who was about 12ish ask me if What I was holding was a metal detector I told him yes so he watched me make a few digs and find a quarter and a dime (both clad) It was getting cold so I told him I was going to leave and he wanted to know if I went there often and I told him no it was my first time there, which was true, But I have to be honest with you I bought the detector to be left alone...hahaa.....I just dont want to be bothered having to explain myself to anyone so when I see anyone in an area I want to hunt I leave and go back when nobody is there...

OP
OP
E
Dec 2, 2012
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggin how do you like the AT PRO?? I saw in your video you had an ACE 250, I take it you like Garrett....I'm a little disppointed in the discrepency on the 350 but when I watch videos on Youtube of people with $2k Minelabs they're stil digging junk thinking is something good as well...

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggin how do you like the AT PRO?? I saw in your video you had an ACE 250, I take it you like Garrett....I'm a little disppointed in the discrepency on the 350 but when I watch videos on Youtube of people with $2k Minelabs they're stil digging junk thinking is something good as well...

Im starting to get used to it a little better. Trying to get used to the numbers still, But yea, Im a am a Garrett fan..This was my first year with the AT Pro, and Even thou i havent found as much silver as i was finding with the Ace, I have dug multiple targets are 8+ inches...But I will tell you one thing about the ACE's...the are some Gold Finding SOB's

Dec 5, 2012
Safety is the 1st priority while medal detecting ..always have cell phone..I would of been on the phone with police in a heart beat! Those guys are troublemakers!!

longsocks

Oct 17, 2005
Wisconsin -south of milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 --- FISHER F - 70 Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing is those that sit and watch you, for what ever seem to think your really getting rich... They don't seem to have a clue most of the time your finding pennies, or a few quarters.. They seem to always think your getting huge amounts of gold or silver at every swing, those are the ones that make the hair stand up on your neck, as you never know if they have a gun or knife...Its always tough to have a hunting partner always go with you, but in todays society i guess you really need one...

Crazydave0002

Greenie
Dec 5, 2012
Fall River Ma
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bring my 105 lb American Pitbull with me and no one even dares to even look never mind walk past us lol but hes a big baby they dont need to know that tho

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Terry Soloman said:
I got razzed out at the beach once by some teens trying to impress their girlfriends. I let it go with a smile till one of the boys tried to grab my machine. I am a fairly big guy with a hard head, and I grabbed his hand and slid his elbow up next to his ear while telling him my machine was worth more than his car and he needed to move on down the beach.

Unfortunately, I scared the bajeezus out of the little girls in the process - and myself, as I thought about it when I got home. Had it escalated, I may have
gone to jail, and a 17-year-old kid could have been seriously hurt.

The bottom line is this, if you feel threatened take out your cell phone and call 911 immediately. Nothing good can come from a physical confrontation, and when the kids see you in the act of calling for help, they usually take off. I also made this shirt up for myself, and I am NEVER bothered by anyone when I wear it.. :laughing7:

Hey Terry. Love that shirt. Plus thanks for your service. I never did due to health (wish I could've), but had many friends plus brother served as well. I'm proud of all my friends that do the extra for our freedoms.

OP
OP
E
Dec 2, 2012
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im starting to get used to it a little better. Trying to get used to the numbers still, But yea, Im a am a Garrett fan..This was my first year with the AT Pro, and Even thou i havent found as much silver as i was finding with the Ace, I have dug multiple targets are 8+ inches...But I will tell you one thing about the ACE's...the are some Gold Finding SOB's

My 350 has a hard time even recognizing gold when i swing it over a few gold items I have, A ring it finds but a chain it doesnt read at all...Its strange, Bottle caps read as $1 / 50c...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most detectors have a problem sensing a chain. The reason is it "sees" each link as a separate piece and not as a whole so in many cases a chain gets ground balanced out. If you need to find a gold chain, try using a gold prospecting machine or use that setting on yours if you have one. A real small coil is also a help.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99% of the people leave you alone, or are just curious about what you are doing and what you are finding. If you encounter the 1%er, it's a big planet, move elsewhere. Enjoy this hobby. It has a lot to offer!:thumbsup:
Thats the new attitude in this country, just let people do what they want and dont say anything to them. I believe in making people pay for their actions.

novafinder

Mar 18, 2011
nova scotia
Detector(s) used
teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never had anyone give me a hard time (just the odd coyote) but there isn't many people where i go, but i always keep one eye on my surroundings.

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe. Garrett 2500/garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sucks. I really havent had that problem probably because of my size and I do not look like the type of person that takes s--t from anyone, for good reason because I'm not. But when I'm in my state hunting I have a permit to carry and I take advantage of it. Some people just are to hopped up to understand a good old fashioned A-- whooping is what they really need. Like the lastest in Conn, that makes us all wonder ? That kid wasnt in his right frame of mind and you just never know who you are dealing with. I believe that those kids were mad at you because they were up to no good there and with you being there, that was disrupting something they were gonna do. Like maybe a spot where they deal drugs ?

Gramps43

Feb 27, 2011
Tillamook, OR
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Terry I like your shirt, do I have permission to replicate it?

Take care and have a happy and safe holiday season.

Gramps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions