d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found several and saw them dug. It was done due to boredom. I have found them that were carved into nipple protectors for their rifles, chess pieces, phallic symbols, fishing sinkers, poker chips and some were just chewed on, I assume again, out of boredom. I will try and take some pictures today and post a few. I even have one that was hammerd into a rectangle and I found it with a bunch of silver coins that were lost or thrown down during a battle. They are not uncommon and are great finds. I will have to get some out and will try to take a few pictures of some tonight. The ones I have found are always found in conjunction with camps where the soldiers were their for extended periods...d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The chewed bullets that I have found were not found at hospital sites. Most chewed bullets are picked up and chewed on by hogs and such especially a "fresh" drop 'cause they had grease on them that the animals could smell. There is a huge debate about the "pain" bullets and I dont think many were chewed on while an amputation or operation was in process, I may be wrong, but it appears to me that someone doing that may have a bigger chance of choking to death if he swallowed it while a procedure was taking place. Even us poor folks in the south had chloroform during the war, in most instances. But that is where the term "Bite the bullet" came from so it must have been used at one time or another...d2

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I was told also that sometimes they were chewed on because they had kind of a sweet taste. :-\ But could see also a possible use instead of pebbles to relieve thirst.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry but it's gonna be tommorow befor I can post any pictures. We had to shut the computer down and take everything off and reinstall everything and havent put the pictures back on here or the program that lets me downlaod new pictures. Hang on and I will do it tommorow. I got a few neat ones and one I dont know if I need to show...d2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread