Has anyone ever looked into the Confederate Treasury?

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I watched a show recently on cable about it. Many people think that most of the silver coins (40 kegs of heavy material) were buried in Danville by George Trentholm and only the gold was kept as the remaining confederate government headed south.

This book supposedly talks about it, wondering if anyone has a copy already? :)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0933571496/ref=nosim/bestbookbuys00/002-8163096-2806430

(The 2 reasons he's supposedly wrote a book about it and not found it are #1 he's confined to a wheelchair, and #2 he thinks it's buried under a residential neighborhood)

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have it, I live just south of Danville. It's a good book, lots of good data, Frank Carroll seems to have done his homework. However, the final conclusion that the Mexican silver is in Danville is based largely on accounting records of the Confederate Treasury, and considering the fact that those guys were on the run, who knows how accurate they were? In that atmosphere, the silver easily could have been embezzled. So, I'm not convinced it's there, but I'm not convinced it ain't there, either.

- Carl

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
In the show I watched someone ordered the silver be hidden because it was too heavy to keep hauling it on the train.

Interesting thing any which way, you can't really figure if it was buried that they would have had all that much time to bury it.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just use an LRL (Right Carl?) That will find it right away. Then all you have to do is pop it out of the ground!

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
while i have read the book, met the man,love the book, trust the man, i can tell you a lrl will not help here. tried it. am nearly conviinced that it has been moved. the book has lots of useful info though. well worth buying if you are a historian.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have read the book several times and I think Carroll did a great job of documenting his work. I don't believe he was as much of a treasure hunter as much as he was a historian. I also have read some excerpts from written accounts of soldiers who surrendered at Greensboro who state that they received the Mexican Silver Dollars that Carroll spoke of:

One account..."We marched to Greensboro and surrendered to Sherman which was the bitterest pill I?ve ever had to swallow.We each received one Mexican silver dollar and 100 Confederate two-dollar bills for our services in the army. I traded this worthless paper money for two silver dollars and came home with a total war earning of three Mexican silver dollars," he said. After his return from the army, he married Miss Candis Parker, and six children were born to them.

Another...John served faithfully with his unit until their final surrender at Greensboro, North Carolina on April 26, 1865. On May 28, 1865 John received his final payment of $1.17 and one Mexican silver dollar ! John had not been paid for over a year prior to the surrender ! He was discharged and paroled on May 1, 1865.

Carroll claims that one keg of silver dollars made it to Greensboro while the rest were buried in Danville. Like gldhntr, I'd be surprised if they were still there. Hopefully, we'll hear about it one day.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
I have read nearly every document, Have copies of every map known, searched wills, deeds, metal detected every piece of property i could get permission to and possibly a few i couldn't get permission, risked being shot or stabbed many times as this neighborhood is more than a little on the ROUGH side, read newspaper accounts, wills, letters, every book in frank carrolls bibliography, contacted people all over the usa and a few other countries. I can tell you that if it is here it is so deep and covered by so many lies and deceptions that it would be a near miracle if it was found here. Even so, if anyone out there has done serious research, and can prove it to me, I might be interested in pooling info to make sure it is not here as there is always the chance you can miss something that is staring you right in the face. The floor is yours..........

Rebel

Jan 31, 2005
Yo! Rebel here: (Taking "Mike" from gldhntr... "A-hem... Testing... 1... 2... 3... ") You are correct... gotta do the research, before the DIGGING... ;) I think the "yanks" found most of the stuff in Danville, Va... and probably along the railroad tracks going down to Georgia... you will find more Confederate Caches... even in Florida; until you head out West... and find "Outlaws" treasures, mostly in Texas... and Arkansas... look for "turkey foots"... and "hoot owl" trees... Long live the KGC! :)

Dave45

Dec 31, 2004
The Lone Star State
Hey Rebel
what info do you have on a turkey foot, Ive looked at all the signs and symbols I could find and havent come across any invollving a turkey foot.
the reason I ask is my mom and dad told me they found what they thought were Indian symbols back in the years and one was a turkey foot

C

cachenut

I talked to someone years ago planing to write a book on this. He had various theories and the one he liked was they put it on horses and rode off. I explained to him just how much the silver would weigh.

He did a double take and said oops. And then I suggested it was either left on the train or carried off on wagons or buried very close to the tracks in an isolated spot. If this is the same guy and it may be he had almost no evidence and it was just guesswork. I suggest you do the research before you jump into searching.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions