has anyone ever tried any of the pay dig sites?

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I know I have seen some posts where people have discussed going to pay for dig sites. I've found several places in Texas that offer pay for digging for artifacts. Are there others in other states? Have any of you ever gone to one? If so did you find much? Would you recommend them as a good deal to go? I have a couple of frequent flyer tickets burning a hole in my pocket and thought that a long weekend trip or two might be in order.

Upvote 0

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
www.crater of diamonds state park.the diamond :hello2:s are real and indian artifacts there too. jamey

hunterjohn

Jul 16, 2008
Hi Snakeman,
Post your question on austindiggers.com You'll get all the info on Texas pay dig sites in Texas and there's a lot of them.

I've known a couple of guys who went for that with the TAAC, but they were given plots for instance with a cedar tree and fire ant mound in the middle, while folks with the titels of "Dr." "Judge" etc. had the good spots.....plus some pretty chicken $#!% rules there too. That is one thing that has helped to ruin this fine hobby in the Central and Souther parts of our state.
Just my two cents.

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
We have one here locally, but they "plant" the artifacts for crying out loud. And they are all reproductions, I don't understand the point myself. Maybe a cool place to take your kids. Not saying all pay sites are like this but I would be leary of it IMO :dontknow:

Ohio_Doug said:
We have one here locally, but they "plant" the artifacts for crying out loud. And they are all reproductions, I don't understand the point myself. Maybe a cool place to take your kids. Not saying all pay sites are like this but I would be leary of it IMO :dontknow:
LOL What a "de ja voux" Theres a place in Murfreesboro Arkansas like that!! The Kadoha Mounds!! They have a plowed feild to surface hunt on. Once upon a time, one could actualy find decent stuff there, but then the plowing became much shallower and the fakes were planted. These are those sorry "reservation fakes " too. You all seen em...unifacial with a median ridge running down the back, notched on the lower sides....Matt Rowe has described the proprieter of that establishment as the "P.T. Barnum of Indian Artifacts". LMAO!!!

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
Jonnyreb said:
Ohio_Doug said:
LOL What a "de ja voux" Theres a place in Murfreesboro Arkansas like that!! The Kadoha Mounds!! They have a plowed feild to surface hunt on. Once upon a time, one could actualy find decent stuff there, but then the plowing became much shallower and the fakes were planted. These are those sorry "reservation fakes " too. You all seen em...unifacial with a median ridge running down the back, notched on the lower sides....Matt Rowe has described the proprieter of that establishment as the "P.T. Barnum of Indian Artifacts". LMAO!!!

Yeah, unfortunetly they do exist. It's really sad I think.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
gotta keep the customers happy, and keep em coming back for more artifakes! I wonder how many of these repros are in market circulation? I'm scared to buy any Tx artifacts.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read about the Austin diggers and they say the finds are 100% authentic ancients. I do not know as I have seen many fine collections destroyed by the simple fact of collecting.
You can look at our Banner flag we fly under here which says reproductions above American Indian Artifacts on our web page and start seeing the direction artifacts will take in the future.
Sad truth if you want a clean collection and only personal finds stay in your little world.If you want to collect on a large scale go ahead and take the chance but you may end up with fakes and possibly ruin your reputation and your collection. Not everybody is fortunate enough to have great places to hunt. So buying is the only way you will ever grow. Its a catch 22 so be well informed like a lot of the members here seem to be.
Please read the recent post in reproductions about seeded fields.
Its weird if I were to hunt diamonds or gold they can seed all day long. I would be happy. Because the hunt is more for value $. They seed arrowheads I would be pissed as it devalues the find and the hunt and the history to me and value is of little concern with my finds.
IMHO
TnMtns

thirty7 said:
gotta keep the customers happy, and keep em coming back for more artifakes! I wonder how many of these repros are in market circulation? I'm scared to buy any Tx artifacts.
The "Texas Artifacts" to watch out for are those "Classic" ones such as the perdenales, Montell, cornertangs, etc which are normally found in the central and southern regions of the state.
I'll wager you'd be prettey dern safe if you bought from the Western, far southern, and Eastern regions of the state, but then a lot of that goes with knowing what it is you are collecting. Its sad, but I've seen reproduction paleos made with damage on em to make it more convincing. Just makes a man sick dont it?
As far as pay dig sites, I think a lot of em are legit, but some are not.
I know of one instance where a man found a ten inch blade, the proprieters of the place blocked him off at the gate, refused to let him through, threatened physical violence and took his blade. He brought it all to court and won, but then who needs that crap. (if he were a poor boy like me, he wouldnt have had a case)
That was a at Dripping Springs, Texas.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Jonnyreb said:
thirty7 said:
The "Texas Artifacts" to watch out for are those "Classic" ones such as the perdenales, Montell, cornertangs, etc which are normally found in the central and southern regions of the state.
I'll wager you'd be prettey dern safe if you bought from the Western, far southern, and Eastern regions of the state, but then a lot of that goes with knowing what it is you are collecting. Its sad, but I've seen reproduction paleos made with damage on em to make it more convincing. Just makes a man sick dont it?
As far as pay dig sites, I think a lot of em are legit, but some are not.
I know of one instance where a man found a ten inch blade, the proprieters of the place blocked him off at the gate, refused to let him through, threatened physical violence and took his blade. He brought it all to court and won, but then who needs that crap. (if he were a poor boy like me, he wouldnt have had a case)
That was a at Dripping Springs, Texas.

What a shame, absolutely disgraceful. I've seen similiar paleo artifacts with dings and fake boiled in oil patinas. Fake axes with plow dings, etc. I pretty much stay with types and materials I'm familiar with. You're rolling the dice buying outside your area without a coa imo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread