surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey YoungBlood,

I'm not sure why you wouldn't wanna clean them to begin with. When I first started digging for bottles I heard of, but never have seen, guys that did not remove inside dirt. I've got one Whittmore like that, but just one.

I've noticed a change in look from as dug, to semi shiny, to clean as it's gonna be by me. You are revealing the true color of the glass when you clean it, to my way of thinking. But you can't rinse the aqua outta the glass, even if you use Prell. 8-)

Prell%20-%2019560900%20WHC.jpg

OP
OP
YoungBlood

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
surf said:
Hey YoungBlood,

I'm not sure why you wouldn't wanna clean them to begin with. When I first started digging for bottles I heard of, but never have seen, guys that did not remove inside dirt. I've got one Whittmore like that, but just one.

I've noticed a change in look from as dug, to semi shiny, to clean as it's gonna be by me. You are revealing the true color of the glass when you clean it, to my way of thinking. But you can't rinse the aqua outta the glass, even if you use Prell. 8-)

I don't clean most bottles for several reasons
Depending on the bottle I like the ,dug, look
Around here it's EXTREMELY hard and time consuming to clean out the clay
A lot of them have paint or paper labels
Etc.

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To each his/her own I guess. I know what you mean about time consuming though. I've spent a couple of hours on one bottle before. I do have a little OCD though lol.

OP
OP
YoungBlood

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
Joshr29 said:
To each his/her own I guess. I know what you mean about time consuming though. I've spent a couple of hours on one bottle before. I do have a little OCD though lol.

When it comes to antiques me too. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread