Has anyone found a steel wheat?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Has anyone found a steely amazingly on its own, or in a sealed cache of any sort????:dontknow::icon_scratch:

There's some problems with this question.

a) the minute anyone one of uses any disc, you will immediately pass it up, like a nail or any other type small iron target.

b) even assuming you were going in all-metal (like in some type of "wide-open" relic mindset, or on the beach with a pulse, etc...), odds are, even if you dug one, you wouldn't recognize it. You'd pitch it out as a steel slug. Because there'd be nothing recognizable left on it. It would appear to be an iron rusting slug. Unless, of course, found underneath a dry building or something, away from soil or moisture.

I found one one, only because it was fused to another '40s wheatie. At there was enough of the iron/steel penny left .... imprint fused on the copper coin against which it laid, that I was able to tell what had happened. But any attempt to separate them, and make out much more than the faint semblence of lincolns face, was fleeting. Just a blotch of rust by the time I began to pick any more at it.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found several in the mid 1970"s with my old Whites Coinmaster TR machine (no discrimination). Both were badly rusted but you could just see the outline of Lincolns face. That was 35+ years ago so if they were still in the ground now I would expect them to be just a rusty unidentifiable disc.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a few too, about 25 years ago when I got my first pin pointer. Found them with other coins in an old spill. They were rusty but not too bad. We don't get as much rain here! Haven't found one in over 20 years now. Might be because it's hard to find a wheatie coin spill these days or they've finally rusted away.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never will. I don't dig small iron targets, but if I did I would only need about a 10' x 10' piece a land to keep me busy for a few hours. Lol

boodan90

Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 12 of them in an old sucrets box at a house i bought. Still have them... know what they are worth?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure I dug one last year. The strange thing was that it came in as broken penny signal. When I dug it all I found in the hole was a rusty disc. Absolutely nothing else in or near the hole. The size was right for a cent, it had the remains of an edge on it like a cent, but zero detail.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never will. I don't dig small iron targets, but if I did I would only need about a 10' x 10' piece a land to keep me busy for a few hours. Lol
I wouldn't have found them with my detector either.....found them with the pin pointer among the other copper coins near by. They made so many of them that they don't have any particular value to them. Even uncirculated, they are only worth a few dollars.

dirtydig

Oct 7, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
A T Pro, ace 250, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
penny.jpg found this one because it was with another in a spill in a floor so it was protected well the other one i have is from a piggy bank.

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a lot of wheats, even here in Canada. No steel though....I'm hoping to get one in my collection but I'm not holding onto much hope.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I have found three of them. The first two were back in the 80's and they were found in pocket spills. The first one that I found was at Loretto Heights Collage...there was like 10 or 12 wheats and the rusty disc. That one has fallen into peices...I keep it in a bottle cap now once that I noticed it had broken into mostly two larger pieces just laying in a finds drawer.
The last one I found was in 2011 at a dried up lake bed stuck down in the clay mud. It is a perfect size and the rim looks identical to a cent. This one is in good enough shape that I think I'll rock tumble it and see if any details show.
Pics would help this a bunch...I need to get the camara out.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone found a steely amazingly on its own, or in a sealed cache of any sort????:dontknow::icon_scratch:

Yes, depending on the location and how much trash it contains for instance a local farm, KD, has absolutely zero trash in the fields, therefore I am running hot pretty much all the time.

I have found a steely and a 1909 VDB 1 ft apart from each other...go figure.

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this one around an old house years ago, one of my first Minelab Soverign finds.

Attachments

• image-1971079825.jpg
    image-1971079825.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 89

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one in the Coinstar. Does that count?

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely! The question was has anyone found one. No metal detector was mentioned. :)

If that's the case then yes, I've found quite a few. I started collecting coins in the late 50's and they were fairly common at that time. I saved everyone I can across just because they were different.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I have found 2 over the years.

Both were found with regular Copper Cents, Or they would not have been found.

Both looked like rusted penny size Slugs.

if not for the fact of it being with a copper penny from the same era ,
I would not have been sure.

sorry I do not remember where I found the second one,
so finding it in my collections would be very hard

DSCF0024.JPG DSCF0027.JPG
Found at a Junior High School 10-25-2000

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I have found 2 over the years.

Both were found with regular Copper Cents, Or they would not have been found.

Both looked like rusted penny size Slugs.

if not for the fact of it being with a copper penny from the same era ,
I would not have been sure.

sorry I do not remember where I found the second one,
so finding it in my collections would be very hard

View attachment 959603 View attachment 959608
Found at a Junior High School 10-25-2000

lol They look like semi-burnt oatmeal raisin cookies..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol here is my last Steel Cent Find from 8-12-2012

DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0004.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread