Has anyone heard of any gold coins found on Topsail Beach

mwssr

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2007
Hampstead North Carolina
Detector(s) used
cz6a and cz-3d
I retired to Surf City on Topsail Island in 1991 and only search the beach. Since then I have been fortunate in finding three coins from the 1700's and 3 coins (mid 1800 British and American dimes) just south of Old Salty's pier to the luxury condos. Of the 1700 coins one was Spanish, one was Dutch and the other was French. Since there is a time span of 75 to 100 years between the two groups of coins I believe that two ships must have sunk in the vicinity and the coins get washed ashore during a Northeast storm. I have read that the North Carolina coast is called the Graveyard of the Atlantic because so many ships have been sunk off the N.C. coast. Has anyone heard of any Gold coin finds on Topsail Island ? It seems likely that if old silver coins can be found on the beach that a gold coin from the 17 or 18 hundreds should also be there. The area that I found these coins is about 2 or 3 miles south of the New River inlet. Is it likely that the ships sunk trying to get into the New River during a storm. Sank around the inlet and the debris has washed this far south over the years ? As of yesterday the south side of the New River Inlet is badly erroded, but I have never found anything old when I searched that immeadiate area. Does anyone have any ideas they would care to share.

T

Tall-paul

with all the storms and hurricanes that go on,, theres coins spread all over,,, it dosent take much onece a storm starts turning the sea bed over,, have you ever stood at the waters edge and watched those large pebbles and rocks get thrown about and thats just normal surf,,, keep hunting you may find what your after,, ive just had a call theres been a few coins found 2 miles south of sebastian inlet,, thats where iam headed next,, and there was a ship went down about 300 yards from the coast there,,keep at it and you will find..

H/H Tallpaul.

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have new actual news of real treasure buried on topsail island my uncles wifes mother has told me a story that happened over 50 years ago, her name is nancy duvall and she lives behind the foodlion as soon right b4 you cross the bridge onto topsail she said that an old black man was plowing afield back there and hit something when he got off the tracter to see it was a box of 24K GOLD BARS the man gave the bars to the owner off the land which then turned them over to a museum and it was determined that they were put there by some off blackbeards pirates

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Silver Sabre
I have read a story about a search for treasure that happened on Topsail close to 100 years ago. It was a big financed operation by Northerners. Are you familiar with it? I wondered if some coins would show up there from that cache.

Bob from Jacksonville

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread