has anyone here sent in their fors gold for repairs?

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
not a good day today. the buttons below the lcd delaminated and the metal contacts shifted, and the pinpoint trigger is fubar. noticed it when i wasnt getting any readings on my handle display. the lcd is stuck on the model info, so i cannot adjust any settings. sending it into kellyco asap. wondering if anyone has sent in their equipment. how fast is the turn around.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not a good day today. the buttons below the lcd delaminated and the metal contacts shifted, and the pinpoint trigger is fubar. noticed it when i wasnt getting any readings on my handle display. the lcd is stuck on the model info, so i cannot adjust any settings. sending it into kellyco asap. wondering if anyone has sent in their equipment. how fast is the turn around.
When did you ship it? They are running about 3 weeks behind due to the death of their main repair tech and my friend...Repairs are being done but due to the death they fell way behind...

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
sorry to hear that.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So what is broken? The control box or the handle?

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
the pinpoint trigger is gummy, like the spring is sideways or there is junk in it. the ground balance button takes a few tries for it to work, then the trigger doesnt shut it off. at the time this happened i looked at my main lcd and it was showing the model number screen, and then i noticed the buttons under the screen were falling off(it is a plastic cover with doublesided tape. under that is metal contacts like the top of a jar would pop down and back up). i turned it off and back on multiple times but it would never go to the menu, just display the model and seriel# info. if you turn on your machine and press a button before it loads that screen will display. it is a simple fix. i could do it myself if the parts were available to me. just needs new swithes and button cover and contacts. im 100% sure one or more of the buttons are stuck on

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
it works, but its is on default settings. keep an eye on the area just below the screen, if you notice the plastic start to peel, i would address it before it becomes a problem

Last edited:

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you think your joystick handle is bad? Maybe one of the buttons on joystick is malfunctioning and messing up the menu. Is this on an original Fors gold or a plus

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They replace entire joy stick, they don't repair it. They will also replace the keypad buttons..

Nokta doesn't send out parts like keypads to customers since you have to take controls apart, it would void warranty if you did it yourself..

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nokta needs to setup a small repair center in US. with a couple of their own technicians. Since they are getting pretty big here, customers could send their unit there and probably have a quicker repair time since they would only repair their detectors.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wouldn't be cost effective, not that many coming in for repair. Kellyco is the authorized repair center for Nokta...

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
my suspicion exactly is the joy stick. im not worried, i have heard nothing but the best comments about nokta's customer service. much easier and very effective subing out the repairs in foreign markets. my wife is po'd though, cuz im going to need another detector in the mean time.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Too bad the buttons on control box messed up too. If it was just your joystick handle I could help. I have a brand new one for original fors gold. Its a spare.

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
i appreciate the offer. i was quite surprised that both issues arose the same day. it will get fixed, but im hell bent on finding a pocket of gold, and this throws a very large monkey wrench in the situation.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
whats the status on getting your Fors gold fixed?

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
kellyco said just send it in, no rma req'd. so when the fors gold + gets here on friday, ill use that box to send in my fors gold 8-). got a smokin deal on it 617 out the door! when i get it back ill probably liquidate it.

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
i had no intention of upgrading until this issue arose. i crunched the numbers and ill be out of pocket 100-200 dollars for the upgrade, after i sell the origional. i was already going to get the small coil, so this works out well.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You'll like the plus better. The isat fearure works great with all metal in bad ground. The plus seems to find tiny gold easier then original. You dont really need the 5" coil the 10x5 dd will get anything size your looking for.
How much are you going to sell your original for? I can mention it to a few people.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am a little late to the game but my FORS Gold has been down too.

I mentioned it a little while ago but this is a more fitting thread for it.

My Trigger handle also stopped working as far as the pinpointer goes.
I still get a readout, but the trigger does nothing now.
I don't detect in the rain and I keep the covers on.

I have also had a problem with it from almost the time that I got it.
It will NOT hold ground balance, after about 5 seconds it bounces back to the standard setting and I suddenly can not hear many targets again.
I actually asked around about this issues, I think I even asked CaliGold how his acts a long while back.

Around Spring last year I noticed the VDI wasn't reading right in a lot of cases too.

As for my exp with other detectors, I have never had an issue with others I have used other than a bad sheathing on my Gold Bug II's coil cable.

I still think this machine is awesome aside from the problems, when it was on its game it was hot and picked up tiny buckshot with the standard coil.
It is a very good machine, it just has some issues that many new products have. It will be interesting to see how the FORS Gold+ does over the next year or so.

-Eric-

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
they cant fix it if you dont tell them. dont wait for your warranty to expire. if you didnt abuse your equipment then its legitemate. its going to be awhile before i get it back. but ill let you know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread