Has Anyone Never Liked Their New MD

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Originally my detector was pretty crude and very heavy but was still a ton of enjoyment. As time went by I went with the hype and have had a few of the favorites, which I seemed to learn and enjoy them also. The one and only machine that has fallen into the realm of being a dud is the Garrett ace 400 which no matter the amount of time I spend it still falls short of becoming anywhere close to functioning up to the level of its competition. I gave it away once and it was returned because it would just not work in the type of soil the person was trying to use it in.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought and sold a lot of detectors over the years and none of them were really bad except the Garrett Ace 250. Bought this one with the normal and big coil but only used it for 2 months. Nose heavy, bad discrimination, bad separation and slow recovery. I don't understand why this is/was such a popular detector.

Last edited:

nwpa

Jul 6, 2017
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
T2 classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out with an old Sears yellow machine back in the 70's and worked my way up with many brands and fell in love with the Teknetics T2 it's just so simple to operate and keeps on going.
I went through a couple newer advanced machines but just too much to adjust and fidget around with.
Most finds are at most 8-10" deep so no real need for something deeper.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oddjob, you are right. It's going to be comparable to some of the other mid range detectors out there, but I doubt it will walk on water. We would have seen that by now. Around here depth isn't as important as just being at the right place at the right time.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One good thing, no matter what you use, there will always be a market for good, used machines, no matter what kind they are.

I beg to differ, unless you are interested in a gently used Quest Pro.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's "good, used". I never had any issues selling an unwanted detector, even very low end ones.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E-trac, hated it for relic hunting iron ridden sites....sooooo sloooow....i could not sell it quick enough....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My first was the Garrett Master Hunter Deepseeker ADSIII

Then I got a Fisher 1260X.

I was successful and loved both of those machines.

Then I switched to a Whites 6000 D(i ?) - a motion machine = cranked my elbow and shoulder pretty quickly.

I quit for 30 years after that. I'm a new guy again.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cobra "Beach Magnet", gave that one away.

TwistedT

Nov 15, 2014
Westmoreland County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher F5,
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Fisher F5 that me and it just dont get along too well. lol
I have used it multiple times and it works fine - but something about me and it just dont click

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of someone having 4 top of the line detectors and not being happy as can be.
Maybe some day they will come out with a special hand holding mode.

Just kidding. Sounds like need to just spend more hours learning the new stuff.

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Never heard of someone having 4 top of the line detectors and not being happy as can be.
Maybe some day they will come out with a special hand holding mode.

Just kidding. Sounds like need to just spend more hours learning the new stuff.

Who?

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure what your on about.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well never mind then.
Good luck digging up some treasure.

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well never mind then.
Good luck digging up some treasure.

No worries then, and good luck with your comprehension, I am sure if you put in enough time learning to read you will one day grasp it.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries then, and good luck with your comprehension, I am sure if you put in enough time learning to read you will one day grasp it.

Boom. Careful, people have been given time out for this type of response....

Personally, I think this is an interesting thread. I let go of a Fisher F5 - just not deep. Also had a whites classic SL.... also just not deep and lots of falsing.

Chub

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically tried my best to wear my ATP down to a nub...several small repairs (arm cuff and control assy. falling off)...finally the headphones were starting to go south about the same time Garrett was telling me that the AT Max was going to be my savior. So I ordered one up..and....how do I say this? For starters, it is not even close to the ATP...operational-wise..But please know i am trying my best to give it a try. Tones are different and vdi numbers are different. When does a clad dime bounce from 78-90 on an ATP? NEVER....It did find me a nice silver ring Friday, but everything I've dug so far I could've found with the Pro. I do like the depth the Max offers in All Metal mode. I'm not giving up on this thing, something tells me I just haven't got the hang of all the extra bells and whistles. If any other Max users want to reply, offer tips or simply talk detecting, please do so. Thx for listening, Ddf.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Basically tried my best to wear my ATP down to a nub...several small repairs (arm cuff and control assy. falling off)...finally the headphones were starting to go south about the same time Garrett was telling me that the AT Max was going to be my savior. So I ordered one up..and....how do I say this? For starters, it is not even close to the ATP...operational-wise..But please know i am trying my best to give it a try. Tones are different and vdi numbers are different. When does a clad dime bounce from 78-90 on an ATP? NEVER....It did find me a nice silver ring Friday, but everything I've dug so far I could've found with the Pro. I do like the depth the Max offers in All Metal mode. I'm not giving up on this thing, something tells me I just haven't got the hang of all the extra bells and whistles. If any other Max users want to reply, offer tips or simply talk detecting, please do so. Thx for listening, Ddf.

Thats all it takes, just a little time and then your running fluently. Sometimes getting there is a learning curve, even when it is from the same line from the same brand.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats all it takes, just a little time and then your running fluently. Sometimes getting there is a learning curve, even when it is from the same line from the same brand.

Thx Oddjob, I have faith in Garrett and their machinery, I just thought there would be less of a learning curve...but it looks like there's more to it than the backlight, threshold, etc..thx again for the inspirational wisdom! Ddf.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread