Has anyone tried the "long hose on a tank " system ?

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d
Has anyone tried the "long hose on a tank " system ?

I'm not sure if this the right place to post, but has anyone tried out the tank system that has a long(100' I think) hose, attached to a regulator? My back is shot, and the thought of strapping a tank on me makes me cringe in fear and dread.BUT, I'm not dead yet, (shades of Monty Python)and don't want to give up on diving just yet. The system I am referring to is on ebay, costs around 300 bucks, and has a long hose and regulator.Has anyone tried it, and does it it work? There is no way ,short of selling a kidney, that I could afford a hookah system, and don't think I could pick one up and put it in my boat anyway. I mostly dive shallow rivers ,20' at the deepest, unless I hit a deep spring, and most of them in Florida are being banned to diving anyway.Any thoughts on the subject?

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Re: Has anyone tried the "long hose on a tank " system ?

I've never heard of that exact system. But have you considered simply not putting on your bcd and tank until you are already in the water? It would take the strain off of your back.

seascan

Greenie
Apr 23, 2003
Juno Beach, FL

A number of years ago I would penetrate a U-Boat off North Carolina by leaving the Fins, BC and Tank outside the wreck and entering with just a regulator. The hose was 80' and worked perfectly.

The downside is that you have to contend with the extra hose. Also, if for whatever reason your regulator comes out of your mouth then you can't simply reach back and grab it.

Trident sells a long LP regulator hose and most dive shops are Trident vendors. I believe retail is about $125 or so.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We use 100 feet of food grade tubing on a scuba tank.Just cut the regulator hose and splice in the food grade hose with stainless steel hose barb fittings.If you PM Salvor6 here on tnet.He makes a nice little manifold to run 2 hoses off 1 tank.

Attachments

• longhose.jpg
    longhose.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 414
  • tanksondock.jpg
    tanksondock.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 414

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II

They work fine. Chagy has one that he used and seemed to be very simple and easy.

Robert

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I have one that Salvor6 made and gave to me (thanks again Pete!). It has a 50' hose and it works great. When out at sea, I tie a line around the valve of the scuba tank to a boat fender and it makes a nice streamlined float for the tank. Here I am setting up to clean a boat hull. Tom

Attachments

• hookah rig hull cleaning.jpg
    hookah rig hull cleaning.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 325

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom,

I see alot of blue hose wrapped up around the pilings and tied to the boat.I know the hose can take a beating but for tying boats up too?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread