Has anyone tried using "Buyer Requirements" to help Block deadbeat bidders?

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed this option under "Buyer Requirements" in the Ebay auction. I was thinking of using it. I'm tired of all these unpaid item cases I keep having to file.

I wonder if "2 Unpaid item Strike(s) within 1 month(s)" is too aggressive or not aggressive enough.

ebay.jpg

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that sounds about right, definitely not too aggressive. iF anything, not aggressive enough, but I would give people the benefit of the doubt until they decide to prove themselves more pathetic than you could have possibly imagined. if that's the case, rain hellfire down and tighten that s*^&t up

OP
OP
mjlalt

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your input. I'm gonna set it up for all my auctions.

Looks Like I can set it globaly
To select buyer requirements for all your listings:
Go to My eBay.
Click the Account tab, and then click Site Preferences on the left.
In the Selling Preferences section, scroll to Buyer requirements, and then click the Show link.
Click the Edit link.
On the Buyer Requirements page, select your requirements.
Click the Submit button to save your requirements.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question, could some of these so called "Deadbeats"
have just gotten caught in Ebays Paypal only Racket ?

I Know it bugs me to the point I don't buy on Ebay if it says Paypal only.

I Wouldn't mind using my Debit card,
however if it doesn't mention paying by debit / credit cards, and I win it,
odds are I'd be accused of being a Deadbeat because I refuse to trust Paypal,
and the seller refuses to accept a Debit card. Correct ?

( I noticed, since I Stopped buying off EBay,
scam PayPal emails have completely stopped also)

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two would be fine because I look at even my busiest months buying and I can't remember having two against me for any reason, and part of that is because when one comes up it gets solved, and usually isn't an issue with me, more the circumstances. That being said, it wouldn't make much difference in my selling because my page has always been wide open and non paying bidders is not really an issue like it used to be. There's always going to be one here and there if you sell enough, but it's not worth trying to create some strategy to keep them away, because chances are it will not work. Just be careful when you do it because once a seller made a real dumb mistake setting his page to limit one purchase per user. There was something I wanted, and had my automatic bid set at $125... but before it ended I seen another cheap thing he had on which I bought for the heck of it, mostly because I knew I'm have a package coming winning the one I wanted. Of course I reached my limit on the cheap item and was blocked on the one I wanted which sold for $10 or $15. I wrote the seller and he eventually figured it out, and of course was as sour as I was, probably more so, because he gave it away. I knew who the winner was, and know he would have bid at least $60 or $70. It's usually not limits that gets me, it's a seller not willing to ship here. Last week I had a very unwilling seller and said I'd pay him $30 extra if he let me bid and if I won. That was finally enough to persuade him and that's exactly what happened. I bid, won, and paid $30 extra.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question, could some of these so called "Deadbeats"
have just gotten caught in Ebays Paypal only Racket ?

I Know it bugs me to the point I don't buy on Ebay if it says Paypal only.

I Wouldn't mind using my Debit card,
however if it doesn't mention paying by debit / credit cards, and I win it,
odds are I'd be accused of being a Deadbeat because I refuse to trust Paypal,
and the seller refuses to accept a Debit card. Correct ?

( I noticed, since I Stopped buying off EBay,
scam PayPal emails have completely stopped also)

Sellers are only allowed to list Paypal as the payment, so that is why you see Paypal only. Whether they accept something else you have to write before you buy to find that out. I probably get one or two a month on average who want to mail the payment.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Maybe I am just a *()()#$#% but when I commit to buy something - I pay for it immediately. As far as I am concerned - one missed payment for a purchase and the game is over for the buyer - PERIOD.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had my "buyer requirements" set to the max allowed since I started selling. Never looked back.

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
Buyer requirements placed in your auction ad are a necessary tool if any claims are filed for any reason and they protect you as a seller . I use ones tougher than yours on curtain items , like 10 positives consecutive or I'd cancel their bids . Many people think eBay doesn't keep track of bids and correspondence between the seller and the buyer and they do . Then if there is any issues like the buyer claiming you mislead them eBay can sort through the auction ad and the claims and see who's jerking who around . I sold a vintage watch a few years ago and clearly stated I wasn't an expert and I measured the size up to be a 38 or 40 size face . Later the buyer messaged me to complain about two things . First the size they claimed to be a 34 or a women's/kids watch , but it was posted with an explanation that it was engraved to a Sven ( Swedish name?) for 25 years of service . They also claimed that the watch wouldn't wind properly or set . And I also clearly said that it was a automatic watch that had to be wound carefully and that there where two light notches that set and wound it . So when they claimed it was broken I simply said that if they broke the watch by mishandling it that they were responsible for the damage . And eBay tossed their claims out ... the only damage I got was they failed to leave me any feedback ... big deal ... cover your butt at all times and you'll be fine and have a better selling experience ! IMHO , Woodstock
I noticed this option under "Buyer Requirements" in the Ebay auction. I was thinking of using it. I'm tired of all these unpaid item cases I keep having to file.

I wonder if "2 Unpaid item Strike(s) within 1 month(s)" is too aggressive or not aggressive enough.

View attachment 784219

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just checked to see about these buyer requirements. I had already set it up and had 24 buyers that got bumped. About half of them because "Too many Unpaid Item strikes" that saved a few headaches. The rest did not have a paypal account. I am going to see if I can unblock that and add newbies. Newbies can be a pain sometimes.

Boo! I can only block neg feedback scores -1 or more. I can not block newbies. I was going to ask for feedback of (9) or less.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What spot on the globe do you occupy if you are willing to pay that much extra?

Usually I'd try and convince them without paying extra, and most times I do.... but if they stop replying to me, or the clock is ticking, I'll do what I have to do. In this particular case there was 20 minutes left, and I wasn't unblocked until about the 5 minute mark. I would have liked to have found the listing days before but it simply did not happen that way. The $30 is not a big deal because I'll probably make $100, so I would have paid even more if necessary.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buyer requirements have been set to the max for years also. I state in all my listings that payment must be made within 4 days from the end of the auction, if not it will be re listed or sold to the next highest bidder.

If you want/need extra time to pay for something (more than the 4 days ebay allows, before you can file a case) then you should have the common courtesy to send a message to the seller and let then know what your intentions are.

I'm fixing to file a case for a non paying customer right now. If you commit to buy something, then pay for it, friggin dirtbags. Whenever I buy something I pay immediately or within the first 24 hours if i'm at work or something.

That's my 2 cents, FWIW.

I personally think they should suspend all non paying bidders after 3 strikes in one year.

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said my friend, well said. It is crap the number of non paying bidders I have had lately. One person bid and won 6 of my aucions. I sent them the total....no response....um, where is my money...reply "how will these items be shipped?"....WTF?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions