Has anyone...

ncuke

May 24, 2013
Ever posted an object that they found here that was actually confirmed as a meteorite? I swing by this category to check it out every once in a while but all I see is "nope" "sorry" "not a meteorite"... I would imagine they are incredibly difficult to actually hunt - am I wrong?

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all my years I've only picked up 3 while detecting. 2 iron and one stony iron and all were about the size of my thumb or smaller. I've hunted for them in areas were strew fields have been reported but have not had any success. Those hunts were in Arizona. My finds however were in Tennessee and Australia. They are rare but good fun if you like nature hikes.

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever posted an object that they found here that was actually confirmed as a meteorite? I swing by this category to check it out every once in a while but all I see is "nope" "sorry" "not a meteorite"... I would imagine they are incredibly difficult to actually hunt - am I wrong?

If you really want to find a meteorite, you need to hunt for them in know "strewn fields". A "strewn Field" is a know documented area that a meteorite has fallen. You need to research all the known Strewn Fields (Google is Good) in the areas you can get to and hunt. Many are on private land and it's extremely difficult to get permission to hunt. However, known Strewn Fields are the only real chance you have of finding a meteorite!!!

Finding a meteorite, in an unknown Strewn Field, is every meteorite hunters dream. If you did, it most likely would be a new, previously unknown, undocumented fall. You would gain fame and be recorded in the history books related to meteorite hunting, etc. If you ever find anything that truly appears to possibly be a meteorite, you need to have it checked out at one of the universities that do that type of research. You can Google locations for that.

Other than hunting in know strewn fields, finding a meteorite is very, very, rare, rare, rare, and more!!!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Many new finds are made on dry lake beds in Nevada and California, so there is that beyond just known strewn fields. And, of course, given the terrain, new finds do turn up in known strewn fields like the Gold Basin strewn field in Az. In the United States, best chance of finding new ones is hunting the dry lake beds.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of the time people post a rock here and haven't done their homework. There are a handful of simple tests that can get the rock closer to confirmation but often aren't done. IMO test before posting. It's not that hard.
I've spent six days at a known field and no results. I think if other minerals were as hard as meteorites there would a lot less interest.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you really want to find a meteorite, you need to hunt for them in know "strewn fields". A "strewn Field" is a know documented area that a meteorite has fallen. You need to research all the known Strewn Fields (Google is Good) in the areas you can get to and hunt. Many are on private land and it's extremely difficult to get permission to hunt. However, known Strewn Fields are the only real chance you have of finding a meteorite!!!

Finding a meteorite, in an unknown Strewn Field, is every meteorite hunters dream. If you did, it most likely would be a new, previously unknown, undocumented fall. You would gain fame and be recorded in the history books related to meteorite hunting, etc. If you ever find anything that truly appears to possibly be a meteorite, you need to have it checked out at one of the universities that do that type of research. You can Google locations for that.

Other than hunting in know strewn fields, finding a meteorite is very, very, rare, rare, rare, and more!!!

I will have to disagree.
Near where i live on Cuddeback Dry Lake they have found at least 5 different types of meteorites.
While there are believed to be couple strewn fields over the dry lake the lake bed is not that big.
Its only about 1/2 mile by 2 miles.
Welcome to California Meteorites dot Com - California Meteorites

In the desert there are areas to search and areas that are a waste of time.

Dry lake bed and flat areas of Desert Pavement are good.
http://www.nbmg.unr.edu/Pubs/r/r53/images/df9hhp24_505gqk3dccj_b.jpg
Desert pavement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

in the desert things change very slowly.

I hunt on desert pavement areas because i hunt gold nuggets and will not pass up a meteorites if i find one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread