Has technology made older detectors out dated like other electronics

chuckinnc

Aug 20, 2009
western,nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found alot of detectors on the used market at fair prices but not sure if I should by one. I know laptops, PCs, cell phones and other electronic items are quickly out dated these days so I am trying to decide if I want to spend the money for state of the art machine or save alot by buying a older detector?

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I have found alot of detectors on the used market at fair prices but not sure if I should by one. I know laptops, PCs, cell phones and other electronic items are quickly out dated these days .....

.... There has been no real change in single frequency VLF metal detectors or their ability to discriminate since 1985. Machines have gotten lighter, coils have become better.

Terry's answer is spot on. That unlike the light-year's of evolution seen in the decade of 1965 to 75, and 1975 to 85 yet ... since then the progress slowed way down. In those prior years , you had a DINOSAUR if your machine was a mere few years old. But notice now, that various 10 or 15 yrs. old machines are every bit as capable as what's currently offered.

So ever since the mid to late 1980s, the only things coming out are more whistle and bells, and only *slight* improvements.

The reason is, that your analogy to laptops, PC's, cell phones, and other electronics, is lacking in comparison. Yes it's true that those things shrink every year, and double capacity and speed every few years, etc.... But those are all just functions of "smaller and faster".

The same can not be said for md'ing ability. Because of one big major problem: The impediment of the ground we must see through. And NO AMOUNT of "smaller and faster" can change the laws of physics. There is only so much information you can get out of signals bounced into and out of the ground. So unless some new method of what we're pumping into the ground (and what we're deciphering on the receive end) comes out, I'm afraid we're at a standstill.

Unlike the changes of BFO to TR, and TR to VLF, and VLF to MF, and pulse vs VLF, etc.... Those are all "new mousetraps", that yes, pushed us light years ahead. And sure, some nickel and dime improvements come within each of those. But at a certain point, you've reached the laws of physics, and no amount of 'smaller and faster' is going to change that.

There would need to be an altogether new system of detecting technology. NOT just "whistles and bells" added on to the older machines. Assuming of course, we're talking something of the last 10 or 20 yrs. For a machine from the 1980s to be still relevent and competitive, it would be something of that era like certain Teknetics, perhaps the Fisher cz6, perhaps the 6000 Di pro, etc.... Others from the 1980s are indeed "dated".

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
You have a number of old detectors that are still being manufactured and sold. They do the job. Some Tesoro models and Fisher CZ series detectors come to mind.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There would need to be an altogether new system of detecting technology. NOT just "whistles and bells" added on to the older machines. Assuming of course, we're talking something of the last 10 or 20 yrs. For a machine from the 1980s to be still relevent and competitive, it would be something of that era like certain Teknetics, perhaps the Fisher cz6, perhaps the 6000 Di pro, etc.... Others from the 1980s are indeed "dated".

I agree...my Garrett ADS 3 was pretty good in its time. $550.00 in the early 80s but my Tesoro Compadre $180.00 is way faster and just as deep and super light in comparison. And lets not forget six 9v batteries for the Garrett vs one 9v battery on the Tesoro.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any one of my sovs will hold its own in forest or field. As mentioned a bunch already, speed and discrim ability is what's been improved. I wouldn't; bother with my sovs in trash infested cellar holes or aluminum slawed parks. My deus handles those with ease. I've got friends who still swing nautilus machines and other 'older' audio only machines and they are still digging keepers right alongside of me. You gotta know your machine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I guess I am a newbie, 30 yrs bought a Fisher motherload 660 metal only and Garrett deepseeker (not ADS) the one that came out same time as the groundhog, neither was used much and don't work very well any more. Thing's are different now, I retired last month so I have time and ready to start the hobby again and trying to decide if I want to buy a new car or good used one, well detector.

Your not old enough, I still have my fisher 441, and a compass Challenger x80

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found alot of detectors on the used market at fair prices but not sure if I should by one. I know laptops, PCs, cell phones and other electronic items are quickly out dated these days so I am trying to decide if I want to spend the money for state of the art machine or save alot by buying a older detector?
Check with manufacturer of any used machine and see if it's still being made. If it isn't, you may have a parts/service issue when it needs work. If it's still a current model, chances are it's a decent and popular machine that is still supported.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread