Has this happened to you?

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up a box of Loomis dimes from my bank, went through them all, got skunked (as usual) and put them in a bag to take to one of my dump banks. This particular bank has the coin counting machine behind the counter, so I just hand them the bag, they do the deed, and I get my $$ and go. Well, when she came back to the counter she told me that my total was $96.10... Huh? I said, "Uh, I don't know if that's right -- there was $100.00 worth of dimes in there. Would you mind checking the reject tray?" She looked all confused, walked back to the machine, stared at it blankly for a second, and then said, "There isn't a reject tray." Seriously? At this point, there were people starting to line up behind me, and since the last thing I want to do is cause a problem, I smiled and said, "No worries, I'm sure I miscounted."

So, have you all ever been shorted? I know I get a short roll here and there, but almost $4.00? Grrr...

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard of FAR worse. Dimes seem to be the most likely to be miscounted.

OP
OP
T

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy crap, I guess I better just shut my pie hole and be grateful I don't have to roll all this stuff...

Hazard of the game I guess -- bummer.

In other news, I picked up a box of nickels this afternoon and not only got my first war nickel, but I got three of them. Woo woo! (and I just barely dumped at a different bank and it was short one nickel; I'll take it.)

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's a few bucks, it's the "fee" for the hobby. It won't be perfect, it's the risk you take. Sometimes I find an Ike rattling around in there, or when they change the bag, a few coins are magically added to my total. We give and get.

I had a machine that was $60 off, and I showed the manager you'd pour coins in and they simply wouldn't be counted, and got a credit to my account.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why many people do not search dimes. The miscounts are often higher than the value of the silver found. Silver Rosies can be bought for ~$1.50 each or less. By the time you figure in gas and other vehicular expense, as well as the miscounts, it very well might be MUCH cheaper just to buy the dimes.

For example, you paid $3.90 just for the privilege of searching $100 in dimes. You probably could have bought 3 silver dimes with that. Throw in the vehicular expense, and you could have bought even more more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
This is why many people do not search dimes. The miscounts are often higher than the value of the silver found. Silver Rosies can be bought for ~$1.50 each or less. By the time you figure in gas and other vehicular expense, as well as the miscounts, it very well might be MUCH cheaper just to buy the dimes.

For example, you paid $3.90 just for the privilege of searching $100 in dimes. You probably could have bought 3 silver dimes with that. Throw in the vehicular expense, and you could have bought even more more.

All good points, but... That's not very fun at all!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never seen a $100 box of dimes- they're all $250 in my area

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
look at some of my old posts. I have been shorted up to 800 dollars on some bigger coin dumps . I got all the big shortages back with in a week. the only one I never got back was about 375.00. but on a positive note I found a 42 0ver 41 merc in the reject bin at that same bank. u can check my old posts for that story. a loss of less then 10 bucks when you do volume means nothing. learn to accept it or stop hunting. happy hunting to all Brian

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost about $90 once out of $1000.

Unless I find a dependable machine, I usually don't do boxes of dimes.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a whole box of brand new dimes counted as pennies once, I believe it was a solid 2013P box. An entire freakin' box. I went straight to the manager and told her that the machine was broke and asked her to check the penny bag. And yup, the bag was full of my dimes. The manager told the teller to give me the $250 for the dimes and everything turned out fine.

I know it's easier said than done, but the best thing for dumping dimes is finding a bank that will allow you to dump bags of coin.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I love dimes, but they can bite you!
Sometimes I am ahead (last dump, $500 in dimes, I was $2.70 ahead), sometimes I am shorted (worse was $5)

I wouldn't be happy dumping dimes with a coin counter that I can't see what is going on.

If you are searching smaller amounts ($100) consider rerolling.

Also don't assume you actually brought $100 in dimes unless you have counted, even MWR can be off.

For me, I find a lot of Canadian coins ($50-$70/yr) left behind by other consumers. It adds up and help blunt any losses.

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've experienced many miscounts from a coin counter, dimes counted as cents. It's never been a problem with the Credit Union, I am always reimbursed later, and the difference deposited into my account. Banks aren't always as kind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread