Has you Treasure Hunting changed ?

mdj

May 15, 2011
midwest
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though I greatly enjoy MD’ing, it’s hard to find the time. And the weather blocks off part of the year. Same for bottle, trash pit digging.
Most of my TH’ing time is spent on garage and estate sales and also cleaning out attics, basements, coin roll hunting etc.. I’ve much more profit on these activities. I’ve actually found more Morgan silver dollars cleaning out attics than I ever did MD’ing. Not to mention other coins. My best find was an 1889 CC Morgan ! Sold for $750.00.

How has your Treasure Hunting activities changed over the years?

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
Even though I greatly enjoy MD’ing, it’s hard to find the time. And the weather blocks off part of the year. Same for bottle, trash pit digging.
Most of my TH’ing time is spent on garage and estate sales and also cleaning out attics, basements, coin roll hunting etc.. I’ve much more profit on these activities. I’ve actually found more Morgan silver dollars cleaning out attics than I ever did MD’ing. Not to mention other coins. My best find was an 1889 CC Morgan ! Sold for $750.00.

How has your Treasure Hunting activities changed over the years?
I'm new on this forum so bear with me. Honestly most of the hunting/scavenging/foraging I do relies not on a metal detector at all. The highest value finds I've made with my partner were pretty good but were to be found laying right on the surface of the ground. I recently got us both high end pinpointers and they've yielded up some interesting loot but the value of that loot is dramatically dwarfed by the value of loot located by other means. I guess for us it's just a question of keeping our eyes open, watch the ground carefully, and stop to examine the environment before moving to the next location. That approach works pretty darn well I won't lie. Special tools like metal detectors, thermal imaging kit, magnetometers etc. can help and add a level of tacticool to the situation but I find that my eyes work really, really well at finding legitimately valuable stuff. It's really a matter of paying close attention to details around ya and knowing the best locations to root around in. Waste areas are amazing for the record.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an interesting conversation with a couple once, who were camped near me in the tent area at Crater of Diamonds State Park. They were sail boaters from South Africa. With a rental car the couple traveled all over the country to treasure hunt or go prospecting. Amazing story they told of finding diamond rings while still dark using the car headlights in Walmart parking lots. Apparently, diamonds show up really good in the dark of night when hit by the headlight beam.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread