Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Has your detector Finds literally "paid for itself?"

Mine hasn't just yet....

Have you been keeping track of your finds to see if it paid off?

This all I want to know...If this question bothers you, then you dont have to answer.

Larry

Dont give up the Hunt!

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Has your detector Finds literally "paid for itself?"

2 times

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia

Sure, if I were to sell all the finds. SOmetimes all it takes is one...but all the clad adds up if you keep it and roll it up for the bank.

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600

After my big 1987 Penny today, I only have $558.80 to go. The detector cost $559.20. At this rate, I may have my student loans paid off sooner!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have been very lucky and paid for my first detector with silver I had sold. The detector was a C & G Bobcat, a TR. After that I used PI's in the water off a salvage boat and did well, but the PI's weren't mine. Later I bought a Surfmaster PI and a Mark II for water and beach work. I know they were paid for a couple times and after that I didn't keep count. If I was to start fresh today paying for a Excal II, I might pay for it with one find, but realistically it might take me awhile due to competition and lack of energy to do it as long as I used to be able.

IronClad

Aug 29, 2007
N. Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
Silver Eagle, White's Eagle I, White's Eagle II SL, 6000/Di Series 3, Silver Sabre II

... Yep !

Bought my first detector in 1983, A White's 6000/ D Series 2. Paid $525.00 for it. 3 days later was at a local beach and found several rings and clad. The 1 large 14k wedding band appraised at $375.00 and the other small gold and silver rings added up to more than the initial cost.

I just sold that detector a few years ago, and it literally paid for its self many times over with all the finds I made with it, and never had one bit of trouble. A flawless, quality unit. :thumbsup:

PENNYHUNTER

Aug 19, 2007
Orangvalle
Detector(s) used
explorer se,excal 1000,whites MXT,and a E-trac

I think I just paid for both of my detectors in less than an hour. I found an 18k diamond wedding band and I think the diamond is well over 1 karat . But I think the joy I get out of this hobby is worth a lot more.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

EDDE said:
in a little over 2 years about 28 months

OP
OP
Larsmed

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Guys

So are we talkin a matter of a few days or years? I know I could easily payoff mine, but i don't have much time to devote :'(

Im gonna start using my lunch breaks. I am determined to pay this unit of in the next few weeks.

Larry

BillyC

Jan 28, 2008

I know for a fact mine have not. If I sold all my silver, and my one gold ring I still would be behind?

I will be honest. I am not trying to pay mine off? I am in it for the fun, and exercise along with the finds.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Paid for themselves and my house/car/motorhome etc

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nah. Master card paid for mine.

But, as for the recovery's, I believe it will be aloooong time before mines paid off unless there's a big find in the near future. Hey, you never know...

Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Pro

Not even close. Although I find my share of clad, I enjoy hunting the most ridiculously difficult places the most. I usually hike in to the woods or along the river banks and cornfields looking for relics. Not much chance of findind gold rings where I go...

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600

You will pay for your detector typically one of two ways; you find something nice(i.e gold/silver jewelry, nice relic) or you are persistant and detect as much as possible to build up your clad amount. I just got back into detecting(wasn't really successful my first go around because I didn't take the time for it), so I am really trying to learn my machine in my back yard first. I plan to hit the school playgrounds as much as possible once the school year is up next week so I can start to gather some coinage. If you pay attention to those who submit on here, the most successful hunters are the ones who consistently go out and learn their detectors well. I hope to be experienced like that eventually. Good luck and don't be discouraged by only finding a couple dollars worth here and there. The best part of this hobby is never knowing what you will uncover with each hit you get.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

This hobby will pay for itself. You may be lucky and find a rare coin or relic. In my case, the clad I find averages about $200 a year. Over time it pays for itself. Look at todays finds and you will see some spectacular finds being made by folks.

Hope you are one of the lucky ones.

Ray S

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,

Many many many times over, just look at my avatar. That one is $3-5K. I have found hundreds of gold rings as well as thousands of silver coins over the years. So piece by piece it adds up, even if it is just clad. HH good luck.

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident

I'VE PAIDED MINE OFF SEVERAL TIMES over.......between jewerly i've sold & clad i've found.
thats not counting good relics i've found & kept.

randall

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My Sovereign has at least 4 times since 99

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MY MXT has indeed paid for itself and for a couple of search coils as well. I started detecting about 15

months ago , and have found $ 1225.00 in clad , 63 silver rings , 1 10k gold ring , and 20 silver coins

and assorted other silver jewelry. Obviously the real pay is in the form of neverending adventure and

the thrill of the hunt. Gregory, Santa Fe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread